Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
I had my first spinal fusion 8 years ago on L4-L5, and also a lumbar laminectomy on the L5-S1. (My age at that time was 49. My L4-L5 were bone on bone and by the end of the day, I could hardly walk I was in so much pain. 3 years ago at age 54, I had another fusion on the L5-S1 lumbar area. The nerve to this vertebra was totally smashed on the left and hardly recognizable on the MRI. Hindsight, I should have had a fusion done on both vertebra the first time around. The second surgery caused my left leg to be almost unusable at first. I actually fell in the bathroom in the hospital on my side 3 days after the surgery. I took my walker and was going to leave and without any notice, my leg gave out totally. I ended up with a bruise on my side the size of one hand spread out and also a black eye. My surgeon was not too concerned. When I went home I fell again with my knee hitting the sliding glass door metal rim. (I later found out that it caused a spot, the size of a thumbnail on the inside of my knee, of articular cartilage to be scrapped to the bone. I would describe it like having a scrapped knee on the inside.) This does not heal up because there is no blood flow to the inside of the knee. I fell a third time on the kitchen floor on my side. Once again my leg gave out. This was all in a 2 week period after my second surgery. 3 years have passed and I have had to continually have some type of brace or compression stocking over the knee area....above and below. I have done everything to try to get better. I walk over a mile 3 to 4 times a week. With tons of pain, I might add. I lost 15 lbs. I only take 2 to 3 Norco tablets a day. (2.5 each-I cut the 5 in half.) I am still in pain, but do not like taking pain medicine, so I have cut it down as much as possible. Next to my husband, my heating pad is my best friend. Now,for the question. I HAVE THOUGHTS OF HAVING MY HARDWARE REMOVED, 2 RODS AND 6 SCREWS. Is this safe or will it cause me to have move back surgery in the future? My leg, including my knee and foot are limiting my life. I can deal with the pain in my back, but to have this added pain makes me want to scream...why me! Any suggestions would be welcome!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi, and welcome to S.H. forums. After you fully fuse. The hardware serves no purpose. And having it taken out is a breeze. Short surgery with minimal pain.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!