Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

XLIF 3 weeks ago, and distended tummy

BillOregonBBillOregon Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a double fusion via XLIF three weeks ago involving L2-3 and L 3-4. In the week immediately following surgery My upper colon was obviously swollen and I was so constipated that I had to have X-Rays to rule out an intestinal blockage. Since then, my G.P. prescribed Lactulose, and this has pretty much resolved the constipation issue. However, I am still definitely swollen roughly from my navel laterally around to the incision site at the back of my left hip. This has also pushed my navel slightly toward the right of center.
Has anyone else experienced this? I find it uncomfortable to button the top button on my Levis, and the skin feels extra sensitive to pressure in this area as well.
By the way, I am also still numb in the left groin area because the surgeon had to stretch that nerve out of the way when he went in.

• Finally had my first post-op with the surgeon. Spine looks great. He said the distended abdomen is an occasional side effect from pushing aside the retroperatoneum from the inside toward the intestines. Usually all is back to normal in a couple of months.
  • also 2 level and my stomach has destined too .i asked and was told this can happen after such a traumatic surgery and can take up to a year to normalise !
    PS i am still in a lot of ache {rather than pain ] dull ache {sharp pain] its driving me mad even pain killers dont help i dont know if i was better before the operation or not .all i kn ow is i thought i would be feeling a lot better by now
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Maybe I was just lucky. But of the fusions that I've had over the years, the XLIF went the smoothest and had the least amount of problems. And I've had 4. Some single level, some 2 level, 1, 3 Level.
    But I've heard some people have had problems. Maybe it's the surgeon, maybe it's luck. I don't know.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!