Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower back and hip pain

Lorie HLLorie H Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello I am new here. I have been dealing with chronic lower back pain for 4 years now. I have a buldging disc in the L4 L5 area of my lower back as well as hip and thigh pain due to bursistus( I never spell that right).I cant talk to my family or friends because they just dont understand. My husband tries but he still gets frustrated with my limitaitons.Every single day hurts everything I do causes me pain and I honestly dont know how much more I can take. I am 38 years old and cant even go to the grocery store without pain.I am depressed, angry, frustrated and ready to scream.I cry at the drop of a hat.Sorry if I am venting here but this has been built up for 4 years. Any help out there

• Maybe you can fill us in a little more about what tests have been done; what diagnoses have you been given, and what you've done to reduce the pain (PT, massage, chiro, meds., shots, etc.). It can be very difficult for someone who has chronic pain to get others to understand, and depression is something to be aware of, and assessed and treated if it is really affecting you. Have you ever been assessed for arthritis (you don't have to be old to have it). You mentioning that you have a number of "itis".

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • i went to back dr, pain 10 years and meds for 10 also. pain is getting worse, can't walk more than 50 yds without stopping for pain. bend down also. dr did mri and said he sees no herniated disc and stenosis is nothing to write home about. the last disc where i had fusion L3 shows some instability on x-rays. but he too x-rays of hip also and there are some issues there. now i have to see an ortho about my hip. if that is not problem then i need to go back to back dr and see if he wants to operate again on instable disc. he is hesitant because i have already had 4 back surgeries. so hip pain can be back pain and back pain can be hip pain go figure. i will let all know after is see back dr on 4-3-12 at 10:30.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Hi Lorie,

I'll be wishing you better in the days ahead. It is hard to sometimes diagnose the correct problem when you are dealing with multiple areas. I also have bursitis and a new ruptured disc at L1 and still not sure which is causing more of the pain. Hopefully, diagnostics will pinpoint your problem and get you the help you need. What have you had done so far to diagnose your symptoms?

• Welcome to spine health. I can hear and feel your frustration. Chronic pain can be so difficult, and it helps to have someone to talk to and who will listen. Glad that you have joined us here, as we 'get it'.

Have you tried conservative measures and had some testing done?

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I was in a car accident in 1982 that landed me in the hospital for 2 months. My pelvis was broken and my neck was fractured. My sciatic nerve was damaged which caused partial paralysis in my left leg and foot.

Just about 5 years ago, I had a spinal stimulator implanted in my spine because the sciatic nerve causes me pain all the time now.

5 years later, It is time for me to have the battery replaced and I hurt where it's placed in my hip, I can't bump it or even where jeans anymore. They said I also have a clump of arthritis where the wires are attached and I'm not sure about my hips anymore, they hurt too.

It's hard for me to explain everything:( just frustrated. Glad I found this site today!
  • I have had mri's done and a milogram also that was done 4 years ago. I see a pain dr who is wonderful and I get shots in my hip area was getting them in my back as well but this is a workmans comp case and they are being real jerks. I have taken hydrocdone anti inflamatories and a gel called voltrex. I went to court won my case about 11 months ago but because of the way something was worded they wont cover my back only my hip when before it was just the opposite covering my back but not my hip. I had a pain shot on my hip are about a month ago and it helped until it wore off after 26 days I have spent the last 3 in bed crying my eyes out from the pain to the point my poor husband cried with me. My dr wants another mri because I now have numbing in my legs and foot and my knee when walking will sometimes just go out like someone hit me behind the knee but workmans comp is fighting me on that right now.
  • You are able to get a new mri done since it has been so long and you are now having issues with your legs and foot.

I had drop foot and my foot and calf were numb and did not have strength in them. I also had a lot of pain in my hips and thought that I had hip issues. Thankfully since my second surgery (adr) I have regained some power in my foot, although it is still numb.I still have a lot of pain, but the pain relief that I did get from the surgery was in my hips. In my case the hips were directly related to my back. Now if only my back would feel better... I definately see many of the same symptoms that I had.

Please be careful if your leg is going out on you, I had to begin using a cane after that happened to me and I fell. Glad that you have a supportive husband, but so sad to hear that you are both in tears over this. May you find some relief soon

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • i am sorry to say i found some one who has pain in there hip i have had 2 back surgires and had the hardware taken out from fusion i have been disabled with my back for 6yrs the pain started going in my hips about 8 mos ago the surgion says they cant do any thing else i have to live with it i cant take the pain it dosent stop no one understands what it is to live like this only other pepole who live with cronic pain reading these posts helps me knowing other pepole go tru this i wish u luck
  • Thank you for sharing your story it does help to know other people are out there. My husband is very supportative but he doesnt understand. I take comfprt on this site be able to talk to others who do understand. Hope everything gets better for you.
  • Thank you for your comments and the tip on a cane as sad as that makes me feel to have to do that. Yes I can get a mri since it has been so long but workmans comp is dening it and my insurance wont cover it since its pre exixting. My attorney is working on it slowly but working on it.I never dreamed this would be my life ya know. I use to be so ative and loved walking the trails at parks and doing yard work and flower beds but that is all over for me now.Not being able to hold my neices and nephews and play with them is the hardest part breaks my heart.
  • i had to have my hardware removed as one of my screws was loose it caused severe hip pain on the side that was loose i felt more comftable when i sat down the last 8 mo the pain goes from lower back into my hip the only relif is to short lived on my pain meds it is frustrating to try and figure out why i was on oc 40 6 a day and 30mg oxycodone ir 6 a day they cut me down to oc 60 mg 3 a day and oxycodone 30 4 a day i have been on these meds 6 yrs i am on workers comp and under the care of surgon as i cant find pm to write me what i get do you get pain down your leg or is it just back to hip
  • Yes I get pain down my left leg as well pain meds dont help me that much either just kind of knocks the edge off and the muscle relaxers just knock me out.My pain dr is very understanding and helpful which is great but his hands are tied right now due to workmans comp right now they will only approve the pain shots in my hip area and nothing else not even my pain meds. I get my shots once every 3 months to bad they only last about 26 days.
  • I know how you feel, I suffer chronic back and hip pain as well, I have been dealing with it for 3 1/2 years now, I am also in pain every single day and and depressed as well, I have a herniated and bulging disc in l4 and l5 and an annular tear, chronic nerve damage and SI joint issues as well! I am ready to give up! No one understands the pain that you are going through unless they have been through it! My hubby understand but doesn't completely, and my family don't understand at all what I go through. I dont want to go anywhere or do anything...I dont sleep and have no ambition and cry easily as well!!! You are not alone!
  • Thank you for sharing. It is really hard not be to able to do the things you love and even the things you dont..but not to be able to do the simplist things is sooo frustrating. I am so very tired of all the pain wish I had a time machine so I could go back to that day and never had fallen then I would have my life back. My husband understands but does get frustrated with me at times God love him he tries to hide it but since he went to my pain dr with me and seen for himself just what it is I go through he gets it a little more. Last week was a really bad week and I was in such such pain crying out in pain and he was home to witness it and now I think he fully gets it he made a comment to me the other day saying it must be awful to be in that kind of pain everyday. I said you think. This site helps me to talk to other people I was feeling so very alone in all of this. I'm here for any of you who need to talk.
  • I wish people could understand what we are going through! I feel like i am such a burden, today is not a good day for me the pain is unbelievably terrible! I have taken meds but nothing is touching it, the pain is wrapping ariund my back into my hips and groin and of course down my legs! I thought i was going to pass out from the pain when i got up to go to the bathroom! Been crying all morning from pain i feel like such a whimp! I will be spending the day in bed on heating pad flat on my back cuz it hurts moving at all
  • I know and understand how you feel. I pray God sends you some reliefe today and eases your pain. I know when those bad days come you feel worthless and useless but your not. The pain stops us from doing what we want and want we dont..lol. One these unbarable days is when the depresion hits us the most. I pray for you to be uplifted today know you have people who do understand on this website again I'm here for you and I will always listen.
This discussion has been closed.