Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical surgery

dandonddandon Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had ACDF at level C6 - C7 on Feb. 24th. the surgery went well. Had a broad based disc herniation and due to slip and fall @ work last spring. Pain was not near as bad as i thought it would be. Alittle sore when swallowing and soreness and slight pain between shoulder blades but nothing major- had worse pain before surgery thats for sure. No cervical collar and little restrictions given. Had read many times on different sites about how horrible this surgery was and was scared to death. I also had carpel tunnel surgery done at the same time on left wrist. I had a artifical disc put in so maybe that made a difference too? I had to go back to work in 2 weeks as my employer said i didnt have enough hrs for full FMLA.. Think that was pushin it but had no choice and Dr. released me with a 10 lb weight resrtiction. 4 wks out and still have some pain and achey feeling beween shoulder blades and nerve pain in right thumb and wrist which was there before surgery, only way worse. Every situation is different, I just wish I would'nt have put the surgery off so long because of fear.

• welcome to Spine Health.

It is good to hear that you wish that you hadn't waited so long to have your surgery, and that the recovery hasn't been as bad as you feared. I am likely to be having an ACDF in the future and it is good to read an encouraging story.

You have gone back to work very early in your recovery and I wonder if that has led to the pain and tight muscles. My neurosurgeon has told me that I will need to have 3 months off work after my two level ACDF. I am a teaching assistant so perhaps all the bending and looking down that I do in my job is the reason for that.

Just to make you realise how early you are in your recovery, my neurosurgeon told me that we wouldn't know how helpful my surgery would be until 6 to 12 months afterwards.

Keep healing.