Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jess JustjessJJess Justjess Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I'm Jess, Justjess (LOL, I don't like Jessie and Jessica is reserved for formal situations). Anyway, I was hit by a drunk driver in 2004 and have had pain since then, I was 28 so I'm 35 now. I have a bulging disc at C5/6 and I have facet syndrome at 3 cervical spine levels on both sides. Both of those things cause chronic pain, burning down my left arm, pain in my neck and upper back. I have been doing radiofrequency since 2005 and its been helping. I had my last one in 2009 and then became pregnant with my son who is now 16 months old. I also have a 4 year old daughter. By the way, I took pain meds through those 2 pregnancies which is interesting. I would be happy to talk to people about what I did but not tell you what is right for you. So I am more than ready for another round of radiofrequency but my HMO, who I also work for and have been working there since 2005 as a hand therapist/occuaptional therapist and I have a great working record, they love me and I am pretty good at my job, but despite that, my HMO has decided to stop paying for radiofrequency. The denial letter said that it won't be paid for unless done by a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon for the purpose of diagnosis (which isn't even the reason for doing radiofrequency and is not typically done by neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons at all!). So yeah, pretty convenient letter drafted probably by some lawyer who has no idea what he's talking about but it sounds all good and legal. Anyway, I am able to switch to an insurance company who will cover it and am going to do that in a couple months. Okay so my meds are tramadol, I take 2 50 mg tabs 3 times daily, I take 300 mg neurontin 4 times daily (I would, and probably will, ramp that up but it causes urinary retention in me so I have to do that slowly, its a good drug for me), vicodin 5/500, 1 tab, 3 times a day. I don't think I'm on a ton. So then I fell carrying my son downstairs. Did you know that when you fall carrying a child, your protective instinct to catch yourself fails and you land squarely on your back instead of dropping your child? So thats what I did, landed right on my back and boy did that hurt and continues to hurt! That was a month ago, I have much more pain down my arm now, and my back/neck pain have increased so now my med regiment is not working and I have trouble sleeping, its affecting my relationship with my family, care of my 16 month old is challenging (but you do what you have to do so yeah, I do things that hurt me, I have to!). The doctors seem to be sort of ignoring it, not listening to me. I'm not emotional at all. I don't cry much and am pretty happy of a person most of the time (accept now I'm more cranky). so maybe because I don't call actually crying they think I'm exaggerating it. I'm not going to put on a show for them but they need to take me seriously. Also, as a medical practitioner, I hear and read notes about how people are talked about when they have pain issues. It isn't nice. Its an invisible, medical condition and it sucks! So thats me. Like I said, I'm a certified hand therapist so I do have some expertise in that area and would be happy to offer advice but you need to also consult a doctor because it doesn't take the place of a doctor's advice. Its very hard to diagnose on an email.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! i am not famaliar with cervical issues but did want to say hello!! i am sorry you are suffering with chronic pain issues. it is good to know that the radiofrequency is working for you and gives you some pain relief! i am glad you will be returning to it soon!! please have a good look around the different forums and make yourself at home!! we are a very friendly group here and you will find it very easy to make new friends who understand pain issues!! stop by anytime! Jenny :)