Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain after 2 cervical surgerys

BrinaBBrina Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
~X( Hello all. This is my first post. I decided to join after trying to research the internet on Chronic Pain. There is not much (real) info out there.
I am 40yrs. I WAS..a Medical Assistant for 14 yrs in High Point. Now I'm on Long Terem Disability. I am 7 mos. out from my last ACDF surgery, C2-C7. My first surgery failed that was done in 2007 @ C6-7. Anyway, I have been telling my Neurosurgeon that I have been having rt arm pain and tingling, along with the same stabbing feeling in the rt shoulder blade as before surgery for about 4 months now. I felt pretty good after the initial recovery for about 3 mos. Sometimes the pain is so bad that I have to take a Compazine for the nausea that comes with the pain. Then I sleep for almost 2 days. I know this sounds terrible, but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone.
I feel like no one around me understands what it is like to live this way. With that I mean, waking up evey morning and moving like I'm 80 instead of 40. Taking meds to get me moving in the mornings, "still hoping the meds are going to work." Hardly able to do daily chores now, whenever I used to get up at 5am and work out or run before I went to work, sometimes a 12 hr day. Working as a Medical Assistant I had dealt with pt's who had Chronic Pain and I did have empathy for them. Little did I know,right!
My husband is very sweet and sometimes I have a hard time understanding why he is still with me. Sometimes I wonder why I am still with me.
I wonder if I'll ever be myself again or if this IS the self I have to live with for the rest of my life.
2 weeks ago I had a visit with one of the partners in with my neurosurgeon. Of course I went through the same routine, my rt arm is still hurting, my elbow feels like someone hit it with a baseball bat, I feel someone is poking me with hot poker in my rt shoulder blade, my fingers get tingly and numb at the same time. I have been having to sleep sitting up with my arm up on pillows.
The Dr. did his examination and stated that we needed to start with a shoulder x-ray and neck x-rays. After those where done he suggested a trigger point injection in the shoulder, that he thought I had Bicepital Tendonitis. He also wanted to do a MRI of my shoulder. That was scheduled and done. I havent heard any results yet. I called the office last week for results but still no call. It was mentioned that I may need a CT Myeologram. I've heard of them, I've scheduled them for my patients but I have no idea what I'm in for. Does anyone have any suggestions for waht I'm going to have done? Why cant these things be simple?? After 2 surgeries and only 1 real disc left in my neck, why am I still hurting? An answer would be some relief even if it was that everything is normal and you are on of the ones that surgery just doesnt help. How long do you have to suffer before you get that info? At least with that, you could finally come to realize that you are never going to be who you used to be!!
I'm still hoping to wake up one morning and be all better!
Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Welcome to Spine Health. I am so sorry that things have gone this way for you.

I share you pain and problems and I am offically "only" a 3 level (but after a failed 2 level anterior 6 years ago). I too am still am in pain. Here's a link to a little of my story http://www.spine-health.com/forum/neck-pain-cervical/history-a-pain-neck.

Hang in there!! I keep on hoping and praying things will get better (even though its not) :(

Again Welcome to the forum,

Warm regards,

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ..decided to post.
    We may not have answers for you, but we sure can empathize with you and let you know you're not alone.

Your husband probably loves you and decided he will love you through it all. It is very difficult on our loved ones, but God bless them and anyone who even tries to understand what our lives have become.

And you are not your pain. `It took me quite awhile to accept the new me...whatever that was..everyday was/ is different. It took practice, but I found I had no choice.

It's good when others help affirm you have worth despite your pain and limitations. I'm sure you have alot of knowledge and wisdom..love ..to share with those around you. That can't be minimized.

That would be my guess as to why you are still with you!

I'm not a candidate for surgery, but from what I understand, sometimes surgery is to repair and get the spine stronger..maintain alignment...I dunno... but often times doc says the goal is not pain control...or lessening of pain.

It's frustrating. Some of my friends heard all that with their head, but their heart was so hopeful. So they became a little depressed after the surgeries to still have the pain..or sometimes pain a little worse due to all the manipulation during the surgery .

Easier said than done, but try to be gentle to yourself and remember you are the best person to take care of you. Some things you won't be able to do, but my bet is that in time you will be doing some things you never thought of before. Things that will fit in with the limits that your body puts on you.

I needed to see a therapist..and I still check in once in a while.

YOu have found the best site ever. People will relate and understand. There's lots of info..etc..but for me, being connected to people who understand is priceless.

I hope you start to feel better soon and please know we are here for you. If you need to vent or whatever...we truly are here for you.

HOpe today is a tolerable day for you! Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History