Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1-C2 Spinal fusion

DavidBDDavidB Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone.

I have joinied in hope to offer some support and experience to anyone that has had similar surgery to me.

28 May 11 I was dumped in the surf onto sandbank and ended up with unstable c1 fracture with avulsion to transverse ligament and a c1-c2 fusion with rod and bone graft. Surgery wasn't an option.

I have recovered well and returned to work 3 months later. I have restricted movement left and right turns at 45degree and clicking in the upper neck turns, PT is fortnightly and intermittent massage helps when stiff or aches.

Happy to share experience where I can

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...things worked out well for you!

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi David :H ,

Welcome to the Spine-Health Family >:D< . Sorry to hear what you have been through. Glad you are doing so well. We sure DO appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

How is your pain level? Do you have to rely on medications or are you fairly drug and/or pain free at this point? Reason I ask, a lot of us whom have undergone cervical procedures (myself included) are left contending with some level of pain. (If you click on "Rassy's Story" below, you'll be able to read my Pain Resume).

The range of motion in my neck is also restricted. After 2 surgeries since 2008, I have about 30 degrees right and left, hardly any tilt backward, and maybe 40 degrees down with my chin. How do you contend with this at work? Does it cause you pain or muscle spasms or any other job related limitations?

Again, A hearty warm welcome to Spine-Health. Lots of great people here. You are the first C1/C2 fusion I have read about here. Very precarious location! Please keep us posted on how you are coming along. Cheers to you, Mate <):)

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Thanks for reply. :)))

The surgeon told me without the surgery that there would be pain and a very long recovery in a brace that was one step down from a halo. The surgery would fast track recovery and stil have

I had and have full feeling in everything and weaned off painkillers in about a month. I sometimes use Ibuprofen but not for some months. So yes very lucky.

My Up is slightly restricted, down is pretty much normal exceopt feels tight at end of flexion. Left is way better than to right- Surgeon reckons thats nothing to do with the fusion but more muscular. Ive learned to deal with turns using upper torso which helps when driving.

I work as insurance broker so my work is office or vehicle based. I found the recovery from neck muscles was the hardest and that took a good 3 months and still have only just returned to gym and weights.

I read your story and hope things get better for you. :(
  • Thanks, David,

I, too use my upper torso for the left and right turning, at least try to remember to! I am glad that your surgery resulted in a sucessful outcome for you. As you said, sounds like a little muscle "retraining" and retoning and you'll be A-1 =D> . Just don't over do it! Gosh ... I sound like your mother, don't I :))( . Anytime someone can rid themselves pain and all of the medications and procedures is wonderful. Again, thank-you so much for sharing a story with a positive outcome <:P. As I read the posts on Spine-Health, seems those stories are so few and far between. Please keep me posted on your progress either on the public board or by PM (Private Message). I use PMs when I don't want to take up space on the forum boards. Take care, Mate :H .

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.