Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent discectomy question.

HwentHHwent Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm a new member but have been reading this board for a few weeks. I had a micro discectomy on L4-L5 on February 20. It has pretty much relieved the sciatic I had down both legs and I feel a hundred times better. I do have a kind of dull tingling/numbness/tightness in my right leg that goes from my buttocks to my foot. It seems like everyday it's different, some days it's virtually not there and others, it's more noticeable. It also seems like it not always in the same place. Anyway, I'm wondering if this is normal. I'm really paranoid of reinjuring it and I feel like I've done a good job of taking it easy. Thanks for any input.
advertisement

Comments

• You can ask your surgeon to be sure. After my discectomy and laminectomy on L4-L5 in January I had some similar sounding issues - like numbness further up my leg than before surgery. My surgeon reminded me that it takes time for nerves to heal and it's not out of the ordinary.

Best wishes for a great recovery.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Have you been doing PT?
    Any incidents of trauma during the post-op period?
    Are you doing strenuous work or activities?

After my L4-L5 micro-d, I was up and around pretty soon.
    My lingering symptoms took a good 6 months to fully go away.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thanks for the responses. No, I haven't started Pt, and I'm not doing anything strenuous. I really feel good. It's just this dull tingling/numbness that comes and goes. Honestly I can live with it forever, especially compared to the pain I was in. I just want to make sure it'd normal and not a sign of something bad. I see the surgeon this week so, hopefully he'll say it's normal.
  • Btw, where on the central coast? I'm originally from Pismo.
advertisement