Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks postop L5/S1 TLIF - just a few questions

RachelSRachelS Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I'm new to this forum, but have already found it chock full of so much information that has been more than helpful. Plus it is nice to have a place to go where other people know exactly how I'm feeling. It's nice to not feel alone.

Here are my two questions, and while I know that we are not doctors and cannot offer advice, I'm just looking for other's experiences. :)

1. How long before you could sleep lying down? I continue to try to lie on my side (my back hates it if I lie on it) with two pillows between my knees to keep the spine straight. I've now moved up to successfully sleep for two hours before the back pain wakes me up and I move back to my recliner again.

2. I had significant nerve damage done three weeks before my fusion. I lost almost all sensation in my left leg and foot (but I did not lose bowel and bladder, thank God). Since surgery, I've gotten most of my sensation back in my thigh and calf, but still have not recovered any sensation in my left heel and ankle, which makes it extremely difficult to walk correctly. My doctor has recommended physical therapy and I will begin that next week. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced losing sensation and gaining some back in some areas and none back in others. I'm resigning myself to the fact that I may not regain sensation in my heel and ankle and I'm okay with that, but i'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. Have you been able to start walking correctly?

3. The taboo subject - sex. I have found a way to do it that is not painful during, but I found that afterwards (later that night and for a couple of days) my back was sore. Guessing maybe I'm not ready yet, or will it always be like this?

Thanks in advance for any and all input you can give me! :)

• I had a TLIF at L5/S1 on February 24 this year. It really hurts still for me to lay on my side, but I found that if I put a pillow behind my back and kinda wedge it under me it helps alot. I had surgery to help with a herniated disk from a car accident,immediately after surgery my left side was numb from the hip down for about 2 weeks and now I do not have any sensation in the small toe on my left foot or my calf. I have also had numbness on the right side of my chest and my right side. My doctor said it is from the inflammation and it should go away eventually.

I out right asked my doctor about sex when I left the hospital and he said you can do it whenever you are comfortable, but like you I am very sore after. I found it helped to put a really squishy pillow under my back.

I hope this helped some!
  • I appreciate you taking the time to write me back. I see we had our surgeries at the same time pretty much. I'm sorry you have numbness after surgery. I had it before surgery (I have no clue why my back started having issues, but I think a car accident back in 1998 may have started it along), but have regained some of my left thigh and calf, but still have no left heel and ankle.

Now I will run out of my Percocet 10 mg tonight and start Tylenol 3 tomorrow, which makes me really nervous because as I understand it, the Tylenol 3 isn't going to touch my pain. The Percocet keeps it at bay really well. Not sure how the T3 will work. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.