Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice Needed - 4 Days Post L5 S1 Spine Fusion Surgery

cookiechrisccookiechris Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone

I suffered a slipped disc playing basketball 7 years ago, and after chiropractic care and some acupuncture it got better.

Then I suffered by re-injuring it about a year ago, and in the last 6 months have 'tweaked' my back several times.

Long story short, I had my L5 S1 spine fusion surgery 4 days ago. I was told by my surgeon that it was a success, and have been recovering well in hospital. However, last night I started to have sciatic pain in my right leg (the reason why I opted for surgery in the first place). It was in my butt and my lower leg (calf). I was score it at around 3 on a scale of 1-10. I comforted it a warm compress.

This morning I was up and about and went to the bathroom without any problems. I then walked around a little, and when I got back into bed, the pain came back in the right leg. This time a score of around 5. I asked for a pain killer and got one. Then I asked for a visit from my surgeon. He came to see me an hour or so later.

After discussing things a little, he said it might be required that we 're-open you and explore what might be causing the pain'. My worst nightmare. The idea of going through all of this again is brutal. I simply broke down and cried with my wife, who has stood by me all the way.

Do I really need to do this second operation? Or can I get over this myself with a good diet (I'm not overweight), exercise program and a strong mindset?

I initial thought I'd have to do it. But, since reading the posts in this forum it seems like there are other options.

Can someone, anyone, give me any advice? I'm seeing my surgeon again tomorrow and want to come across as being well informed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. As I write this, I have been sitting with virtually n pain at all for around 30mins.