Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tell me about Methadone

cjperkccjperk Posts: 77
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Pain Medications
Hello guys/gals,

Experimentation with Neurontin over the past couple of days is proving to me that my pain is nerve pain. I've always called it burning pain. The neurontin took it away for a day but it's not doing jack now. It's causing other problems as well (as indicated by my Neuontin post below).

I've read that Methadone is a very good neuropathic pain reliver. Almost nothing but good reviews about this medicine (people saying they've got their lives back and such - from pain, not addiction). I need my life back! It also does not seem to be a medicine people take to get high.

I'm DESPERATE for relief. I cannot take another month of this. I've never in my life asked for a medicine but I'm thinking of asking to try methadone on Monday APPT. Will I be labeled a drug seeker? What if he says no? Should I call my PCP and ask him to refer me to another doctor?

Guys I've seriously hit my limit on how much I can take. I need something that works and I need it ASAP. I'm at the point that I'm spending all of my free time on the internet looking for ways of relief.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    I'm sorry for all the frustration of your pain. That has happened to me with a med working and then having to change when my body became to used to it. But for me it was always more than a day.

I may have missed how long you have been seeing pain management doctor. When I started with my pain doc.. about 3 years ago, doc mentioned treating me like a cancer patient and he mentioned methadone...but has not mentioned it since.

I think he was thinking out loud a little ..with a generalized plan...not every detail. There have been so many meds since I started. They work till they don't then we try something else. Then my daily med he changes yearly even if it's working..so to keep it from my body getting used to it.

One time I was explaining my symptoms to a doc for consult and he said "google". I didn't take kindly to that and told him I didn't google anything, but just telling him what I feel.

All that to say, I go in and tell doc everything I'm feeling and let him come up with the med of choice. The most I've suggested is to go back and say I still have pain and maybe a little increase of present med would help.

Methadone may be in my future, also, but there's lots in between.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how it all went with the doctor. :)
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hey thanks for the info. What's happening is I'm getting very near my breaking point. I'm fairly new to this PM practice, but I've been seeing a doctor 3 years for spine related issues. I was referred there for evaluation (they're all in the same network). In that time I find out my doctor is retiring in May. Great...

I do not know what I need except relief. All I have been doing in my spare time is researching back pain relief and doing stretches / exercises looking for some kind of relief. Researching medicine, researching procedures, etc. I'm so desperate for relief I'm thinking irrationally. So maybe methadone isnt the answer, but it's ridiculous that a pain patient is made to suffer between appointments. I just do not know what to make of this kind of practice.

I actually know a couple of doctors. One, an anesthesiologist, about blew his top when I told him about this practice. He said "What kind of place are you going to?" That's another story but the short version is this - PM looked at my films - Said, Oh, there's a bulge, but that's not causing your pain. Sends me to a chiropractor "colleague"
    of his - the guy hurts me, bad. I'm 10x worse than when I walked in there. Having neuro issues I never had beforehand. I'm disgusted and frustrated with the whole situation.

The PM didnt even address my 3 level neck bulge. Rushed me in and out.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    ...on another post, the list of your meds...which of course I don't remember. :)

But for me, the daily med would be oxycontin then after a year, doc switched me back to the patch. This time the patch is working better than it did a couple of years ago.

So I'm not sure if you were on any of those. I think doc usually wants to wait the month to give med time to kick in. But that is why we have breakthrough meds for when it doesn't hold. So..maybe one or both of those meds needs to be changed.

I try to make sure my communication is very clear as to how I am feeling. Good luck!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• No right now I'm on a short acting narcotic and have access to a bunch of other medicines - Most of which I do not like to take. Side effects far outweigh the benefits and I must be functional at work - not a doped out zombie.

I've basically had the same meds for 3 years. Recently tried another SNRI and new MR. The MR does okay, but really doesnt do anything for pain. The SNRI is horrible, I'll never put any of that garbage in my body again. It does not bode well in my brain. I tried to tell them this but gave it benefit of the doubt. After all they're doctors. I feel flat out off on that crap.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    We are all different. And all affected by drugs differently. And that includes side effects.
    I take Methadone. It's long lasting. I was able to get used to the side effects it had for me. As long as I spread the dosage out. I personally take 10 mg.x5 a day. Some can get by on much less. Some way more. I do know it hits different receptors, it's long lasting, and it's dirt cheap.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement