Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introduction: Young adult currently 2 weeks post microlumbar discectomy

Deedrich09DDeedrich09 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello All!

This is the first spine health forum that I have joined and I hope that I can learn a lot from others and give advice to others too. My name is Kate and I am 21 years old. My back problems began when I was 18. I rode horses for 9 years and shortly after I turned 18 I had a bad fall which caused me to herniate my L5-S1 disc as well as my L4-L5 disc. I had severe lower back pain and sciatic pain down my right leg 24/7. That began the long process of trying non-surgical methods. It's been so long ago I honestly don't remember all the details to bare with me.
I first saw an orthopedic doctor who recommended that I rest for a couple of weeks. Then After a couple of weeks I began physical therapy. I went 2 times a week for 2 to 3 months with little success. At this point the orthopedic doctor referred me to a spine and pain management doctor.
I received 2 spinal injections to reduce the inflammation. The first one worked for 8 weeks and then the pain came back. The second injection lasted for about 5 months. One day I made a sudden movement and the pain came back just as bad as before. I dealt with the pain for 8 months because my mom was having very serious health problems and I would not have been able to take off from college at the time. That was the worst 8 months of my life. When I finally saw my pain management doctor again who immediately referred me to a well known neurosurgeon who was 2 hours away.
I had an MRI, was seen my the surgeon and had my first microlumbar discectomy at the L4-L5 level. He chose not to do the surgery at the L5-S1 because I did not have any symptoms related to that disc at the time. The surgery was successful and I had no problems for a year and a half. I was not physically active at the time so recovery was fairly easy. I had online classes and didn't work at the time so I was able to rest. I didn't follow the lifting/bending/twisting limitations as closely as I should have, but I had no problems.
I began CrossFit about 9 months ago. 6 months in I further herniated the L5-S1 disc at the gym. Saw a neurologist, got an MRI, met with my surgeon and scheduled surgery. This process from the day I injured my back again to the day of my surgery took 3 and a half months. Today I am 2 weeks post microlumbar discectomy. Doing well, but recovery is a little harder this time because of work and school. Hoping to get back to my active workout routine as soon as possible.
I don't want to get into my concerns about recovery on this thread because it would be way too long. So basically I am a young adult with unfortunate back problems that have dampened my spirits, caused me a lot of pain, and makes me fear for my future health. I want to be responsible about my spine health. Hopefully this forum will help!
22 year old. Herniated L4-L5 and L5-S1 in December of 2008 in horse riding fall. All non-surgical methods failed. L4-L5 micro discectomy in Sept. 2010. Further herniation of L5-S1 disc in Nov. 2011 and had L5-S1 micro discectomy March 2012.

• Hi Kate!

Welcome to spine-health. It is a great site with a lot of friendly people.

I also have back problems but I am more of a "neckie".

Good luck to you and welcome!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck to you as you go through this recovery!! be sure and stop by anytime.. SH can make a long day go by alot faster! you will find all kinds of information available here on the site. we are a very friendly group of spineys!! Jenny :)