Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cold Hands/Feet Remedy for post surgery- Magnets?

sleightysleighty Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted this under another persons post but thought it deserved its own post:

This prob should have its own post but...

Im a swimming coach and 6 month post L5/S1. I have been very lucky to feeling nearlyyy back to normal with the odd ache and pain. The main residual issue I have is my tips of toes and hands are still cold/numb.

So at the gym monday a guy came in with a 1x1m cotton square and while he did his stretches he laid on it. I asked him about it and he said it was for helping with his numb feet? Any way as he was due in the pool he let me borrow it for an hour and asked I just lay on it.

Now I've had my cold feet/hands for 10 months at this point but within an hour my fingers and toes were actually warm? When I stood up within 20mins I was back to as previous.

I wrote down the pad details as a Norstar magnetic Mini-pad.

The guy told me he got it from a japanese friend who said they have these magnetic sheets in most city hospital beds post recovery rooms as they aide circulation and bone growth. He's in for an L5/S1 in a week and was told more permanent effects take up to 7 weeks (hence he has it pre-op). As I told others I can't endorse something I don't understand but I can't ignore what after 40mins on this sheet did for me.

I am very very curious if anyone has used these magnetic pads? - All the research I've read is inconclusive but regardless I know I physically felt a change.

• I will add I purchased one off a well known rainforst named site for £60 so will keep this post updated from when I get it delivered
  • Hi - So had the matt 2 days now. Yesterday I laid on it for 2hours after work and slept on it from 11pm-7am. I have been watchin the golf today since 7pm until now laid on it and plan to sleep on it again. - Go Bubba!

For the 2hr session I literally laid on it and from 30-40mins felt my fingers warming up exactly the same as when i borrowed it. They actually get warm? I didn't wear socks this time and was less conscious of my feet 'filling with warmth' like my fingers. Was more like they just went warm quickly and I missed it.

Ok the sleep for me last night. Got in bed 11pm, I had it so it covered from around the L1 to my ankles and I just went to sleep. No change to how I fell asleep. I was aware I felt warmer in my extremities before I slept but nothing else. The major difference to sleeping since the surgery was I woke once in the night at 4am and just remember then waking at 0630hr when my alarm went off. This is quite a big deal for me, thats nearly unbroken sleep for 7+ hrs for the first time since I can remember? I did keep the warmth for 1hour after getting out of bed before the cold snuck back in, feet first then fingers.

I let my wife lounge on it round the house today and she reported no 'feelings' or changes to how she felt, so can't report anything there.

Really still looking for others that may have tried these magnetic type sheets? I can't say its placebo because I physically feel it and my wife touched my hands before and after I laid on it and said i felt warm, and in bed I didn't lose it?

Im a science person and somewhat confussed
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    you will find a number of threads talking about medical magnets. I have used some of them for several years and had decent results.

The theory behind them (as the instructor told us) was that the North and South poles of these special magnets will help circulate your blood faster. And when the blood circulates faster, the healing will also be faster.

I had success with these when it came to bruises, sprains, etc... But when it came to spinal related problems, I did not get a lot of relief.

But they are inexpensive and worth a try. Just dont think you can buy any store magnet to get the same results
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com