Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 level ACDF scheduled for Monday 4/16

sunshinebry2000ssunshinebry2000 Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am trying very hard not to freak out about surgery on Monday but I would be lying if I said I was calm. I am not nervous about the surgery I am nervous about what I will wake up to. I am so scared that my problems will be worse or not improved I guess I need to remember worrying really solves nothing. I went for post-op on wed. and looked at metal plates they will be putting in and the risks of what can go wrong but I am ok with all of that I just want my arm pain to go away. I have constant numbness now so I am looking forward to feeling my fingers again. I hope I am prepared the doc said I should be up and about 2-3 days post op. Lets pray that is true otherwise my poor Bird will starve since i will be alone!!!I went to market got a bunch of soft foods soup, pudding, yogurt in case my throat is really sore. I am scared!!
Kimberly Martin

• Its normal and natural to be anxious about your upcoming surgery. You made the decision to have surgery because your pain and numbness were enough to affect the quality of your life. Surgery is the only way to resolve those issues. ACDF surgery has a very high success rate so try to put your mind at ease a bit. Good luck, Monday.
  • I need the same surgery as you. For me, ACDF is the only way to get my quality of life back.

As far as the surgery itself, ACDF is the gold standard and is very successful.

I know you are scared but I am sure you will feel better after having it.

I wish you luck Monday and a very speedy recovery.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I wish you the best of luck on Monday!
    We will be thinking about you.

My ACDF is in 3 weeks and Im freakin out too, at least once everyday.
    Surgery is on a Monday and Im planning on keeping the weekend right before superbusy!
    Who cares if I overdo it and flare myself up, they will fix it the next day :).

Let us know how everything goes!
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • Ms Pixie, so funny you should say that..I have been running around like crazy all week and today I decided to clean the house. My arm is screaming at me right now and I know sleep is out of the question. But they will fix it all on Monday right? thanks all I will keep you posted!!!
    ACDF C4-C7 here I come!
    Kimberly Martin
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I can tell you my experience and remember everyone is different. Upon waking in recovery my arm pain was gone!!!!! I still had numbness that took a few months to go away but the unbearable arm pain was gone. I had normal post op pain but that will be well controlled while in the hospital and at home during recovery. My arm was sore but the surgeon told me that was normal that the nerves had been compressed for awhile. Good luck and the one thing I found I could not live without while recovering was straws. Keep us posted
  • Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. If you're like most of us (like Susan said), you'll wake up with all your arm symptoms gone and just the recovery pain to deal with, which pain and muscle relaxant meds will help with.

It's an amazing feeling to wake up and realize you have your arms back again. I'll never forget that feeling and it's been almost 4 years. I had lost almost all use of my left arm before surgery and the strength was back completely immediately following.

Take care, have a fun Sunday and the surgery will be over before you know it and on to recovery.

• I had a 4 Level ACDF surger on Dec 1 2011. Still recovering. I understand about being scared. Keep the faith and try to relax. When I went in for surgery I felt really good and relaxed and trusted my NS 100%! Most of my pain was all gone... while revocering you will have nerve pain off and on as things heal. Will you have to wear a bone growth stimulator? I have had to wear mine since Dec 4th for 4 hrs aday every day... But I get to get rid of it tomorrow!!!! April 16th :) Get one of those grabbers as well... I also had alot of button up shirts and put all my out fits at eye level, like in my closet on hangers. Keep your water by your side at all times also and stay away from breads. I will be praying for you and looking for your updates. God Bless,

• Sunshinebry2000...I had a two level ACDF in 3/2009. I was suffering the same symptoms that you describe. I am very thankful I had the surgery!
    Please be patient!!! I want to be real with you... It takes a LONG time for the muscles to heal. Don't be discouraged if all your numbness is not gone right away! I remember times in the first 6 months when I thought I made a bad choice by having surgery. But after a year I was symptom free!!! I know that sounds like a long time, but since that time I have not had another symptom!!!

Keep the faith and be patient!!!

Praying for you!!
    2007 and 2010 L4-S1 Microdiscectomies; helped for a total of 3 years between the 2 of them.
    08/2011....pain returned.
    10/03/2012....back reconstruction L3-S1...large titanium "seperators" were put at each level with synthetic bone graft material.
  • Thanks so much for the posts, I am a little less nervous I have lost almost all function of my right arm due to compression and you all seem to have that pain relieved. I know I will have to do PT to work on getting my strength back.
    I will be patient and yes I will get a bone stimulator and a grabber. I am stocked up on straws and Im ready to take this on!I will posts as soon as I get home from hospital or as soon as I a can!!!thanks for the well wishes. It helps to know youve been there and know what I am going through!
    Kimberly Martin