Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back from surgery and home YEPEE!!!!

dkayjddkayj Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello to all my Spine Buddies!! Well I am over the mountain. I'm going to try and put all my experiences here and see what you think. I caution you: this may be lengthy.

Friday April 6, 7:30 a.m. Surgery began. Docs were doing a posterior decompression & transforaminal interbody fusion at L3-4 and L4-5. This is what was approved by my insurance. (Kinda sounds like something aliens would do to you on a space ship) Insurance did not approve docs to use Bone Morphogenetic Protein for bone growth. Ended up I didn't need it. They had enough bone material after cleaning out my bone spurs that I didn't even need a bone graf on my hip. :)) Surgery took 6.5 hrs. I think that's pretty much a normal amount of time. Had to get two blood tranfusions. Slept all night. Had some pain in my right shoulder and neck. Felt like a severe stiff neck. However, no pain in my back. Had a pain pump and it worked.

Saturday-Day 1-Getting me up that morning first time to eat my jello and broth. I started hyperventilating. Couln't breath. Scared me to death. Thought I was dying. Had eight docs aroung my bed. No chest pain, 100% oxygen. Conclusion: too much Dalaudid (pain pump) and just anxious. But they still did an EKG and a CT scan (laying on that hard flat narrow table to go through the tube was not fun) to rule out heart and blood clot. After this, the day calmed down but sill wasn't feeling great.

Sunday Easter! Day 2- All tests came back clear. Yea!! This day however brought a new problem- GAS. I was so bloated. I am not a large person, and I looked like I was about 6 months pregnant. Some nausea and pain so they did an xray. Said I might have a possible bowel obsruction. This shook me up because wasn't happy about the thought of another surgery two days after this one. Anyway, took me off what little food they were giving me, called in a general surgeon, and waited until day 3.

Monday Day 3-Things started looking better. Gas pain and nausea was better, started using bathroom, however, tummy still huge. Second xray revealed a little "kink" in my ellium and some trapped gas, but no blockage.Starting talking about discharging me next day.

Tuesday Day 4- I had to show them I could eat and tolerate a soft diet before I could go home. Even thought I had no appetite, I picked at soup and oatmeal enough that they released me at 6:00 that night.

Throught all this I haven't mentioned my back pain. That's because I don't have any pain. Now let me clarifiy that statement, I don't have back pain like I did before the surgery. This is more surgery soreness and from the incision. Also, miracles of miracles, I don't have ANY leg pain at all!!!!!! I noticed this from the first step I took after surgery This is truly a blessing from God. To be able to walk now without that pain is wonderful.

Since I've been home, I can see my self getting better and stronger each day and it's only been 9 days! PT comes by twice a week and shows me exercises that I do religously. My doctor ordered a Bone Stimulator to wear 4 hours a day, everyday until???.

I am down to taking 5 mg. hydrocordone about three times a day. My goal in the weeks ahead is to be able to come off this and just take Tylenol.

A question have have for you guys, I had been taking calcium for my bones for years. My doctor has told me to not take the calcium. Does this have something to do with this stimulator thing???

Before I close, (told you it would be long)I want to tell everyone that I am so glad I had this surgery. I know I still have a lot more recovery time ahead, but I can feel and see that one day in the future, I may not be as good as I used to be, but alot better than what I was!!!

Please respond friends with any thoughts you might have. Thanks so much for your prayers and concern and just for being out there for me.God bless you all.

• Hi Dkayj :wave: Oh wow! I am super happy to hear that you are now on the other side of this path albeit with a few bumps on the way ;)

I too was taking calcium supplements and when I had my knees replaced (both the same day) I was told 1 month ahead of time to stop them and not resume for at least 6 months. Why? Honestly I can't remember :laugh: sorry... maybe something with fusing?

Hopefully someone else knows why :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Welcome to the "other side!" Sounds like now that you are home you are doing great!

Keep up the great recovery, take things easy, walk walk walk.

Wishing you all the best! Not sure about the calcium, but am curious to know now as well. I was only told not to take NSAIDS as this interfers with bone growth.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Wonderful that you are home from surgery and can already feel some of the benefits!
    Thats why we do it, right :).

Thanks for sharing your surgery and hospital experience!

All the best,
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • Great that things went well. I appreciate that you took the time to report. I will probably be scheduling a similar surgery today.
  • So happy to hear that your results are good. It sounds like a rough start but isn't it great that the leg pain stopped right away? I noticed it right away in the recovery room, and that made it all worthwhile. My surgeon had me stop Calcium 1 week before surgery (along with all other supplements) but started me back on calcium the day after surgery and reccommended lots of calcium rich foods. I can't take any other supplements (Vitamins, Glucosamine, etc) until 6 weeks post surgery. They are all different, I guess. Do what he tells you-I'm sure there is a reason. All the best to you-keep us informed! I go to have my 'zipper' removed and my first check up tomorrow.
  • sorry, double post
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • dkayj,

Congratulations on your surgery! I am so glad to hear that your pain has resolved!

• it's always great to hear positive results, and it's all downhill from here. Hope your recovery continues to go well for you. Posts like this even puts a smile on my face. Great news!! Kevin
  • Nice to hear that the back pain is gone. It is great to hear good news! I wish I would hear more of it.