Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does yours last?

Ice manIIce man Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Chronic Pain
I had my third surgery L4/L5 fusion in Jan and have been in a lot of pain the last two weeks. Had another MRI and both my neurosurgeon and my PCP told me I had enhancing scar tissue with inflamation causing the nerves to be compressed. This is causing all the pain which has lasted two weeks. Both DR's called it a "Flare up". How long do your flare up's last? I am on oxycode 15mg and a strong anti-inflamitory meds to get it under control. Any other pointers that may help?

• My flare ups last 24 hours on then 24 hours off for the last 8 years. But mine is from nerve damage,

I am sure i have scar tissue build up also after 3 l4l5 surgeries, I was told many times scar tissue is the blame when they dont realy know the cause,

So many times its hard to realy say if it scar tissue or another area causing it is why there is many failed back surgery, Deep massage they say helps break up scar tissue after surgery and along with exercise and thats about all they can do for it i believe,

Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Alex it seems the scar tissue thing is a catch all. I believe it is too early in my recovery to say it is failed back surgery so I will keep digging along every day.

Best Wishes
  • The flare I have been having in my left arm has been a solid 8 weeks maybe longer and Is just getting worse. Now it is starting in my right arm...... Beginning to think it is the foraminal stenosis coming back to haunt me. This is the third time since my ACDF and the longest lasting. I had a short lived stent during the holidays that only lasted a few weeks. Now I'm literally loosing my arm after a short while it gets so weak it falls to the side.

My NS is focusing on my Thoracic spine and the spinal cord stimulator but they are aware of the nerve pain in my arms again. Who knows maybe the SCS will help the low cervical. I had an esi on c7 t1 once and it helped for a .long time.

None of my mris have mentioned scar tissue. I just wondered if the long term laryngitis and the cervical nerve pain could be related? My mris only mention forminal stenosis, I just figured it was getting worse.

• In my case, the duration of the flares depends on the cause. If I have been naughty and pushed the envelope, I may pay the price for up to a week. If it is weather or stress related and I get on top of it right away with moist heat and max meds (authorized), I may get rid of it in a day or two. There don't seem to be any absolute answers or magic bullets. I keep asking for magic pixie dust but the doctor never seems to have any. Everyone have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.