Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pops in neck

karenkkkarenk Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
What are these??
ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
advertisement

Comments

• but my neck used to crack, pop and crunch like crazy when I developed my arthritis a hundred years ago.
    Now there's not really that much popping and cracking going on, just every once in a while.
    Its more a grinding type of sound, some crunching but mostly just plain stiffness.
    Like I cant get it to pop anymore.
    Interesting...

Anyone knows?

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • My neck cracks and pops alot too.I've gotten used to it unfortunately. I'm not really sure if it's some type of arthritis or a result of the muscles being so tight that they put pressure on the joints.
  • Had neck surgery May 2010, C5-C6-C7 fused....discs removed...2 years out from surgery, having a lot of popping in my neck, not sure if it's arthritis or if something else is going on. Made an appointment with my surgeon to see what's going on...Last time I saw him he said one of the fusions might not have taken and that could be the problem. Guess we'll see...
  • susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    Please keep us posted as my neck pops a lot also. The pops are not painful. Just curious as to what it could be. My neck rarely popped prior to surgery.
    I am hoping this is all normal.
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • I get it often and found that when I apply heat to my neck the pops stop for a while. Perhaps the tight muscles are causing it? Not really sure why, but try heat and see if it helps!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I have some loud pops also at the base of my skull two months after my c1-c2 posterior fusion. My surgeon, a separate doctor, and my PT believe these are tight muscles and tendons, and maybe some scar tissue. BUT, I also had a failed fusion (c1-c2) last april and also had similar popping. No matter what it is, it is unsettling and makes me nervous! :)
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • bionicneckbbionicneck Posts: 7
    edited 12/16/2012 - 8:20 AM
    Went and saw my third doctor regarding these symptoms....Advised it is most likely caused by bone spurs in the neck and when I turn my neck, it's bone spurs rubbing against each other causing the popping sound. He advised me after viewing my latest MRI and CT scan that the fusion I had in 2010, didn't take. I have a few options. 1) Keep getting this cervical spinal block injections (cortisone), 2) Have surgery through the back of the neck (Posterior Cervical Laminectomy) http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/posterior-cervical-laminectomy, or radiofrequency rhizotomy. ( freezing the nerve). Wish there was an easy answer. Of course none of them carries any guarantee of a permanent fix without pain. Getting old sucks....
  • Yes if its loud pops this means degeneration in that the ligaments are wearing down b.c of bone spurs and misalignment in the neck and arthritis. Bone on bone essentially which can also be painful at times. Try fish oil and hyaluronic acid to help lubricate the joints. Also, cardio exercises and stretching will help to increase blood flow. Lack of blood flow is a main reason for the continued degeneration and arthritis.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.