Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5 s1 spinal fusion

mandimandimmandimandi Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, Im new here but am in need of some advice to help make the proper choice for my back. Last year I herniated my L5-S1 and with that it spilled over to my branch of nerves on the left side. i had such severe sciatica and back pain i was unable to even walk. From first injury to surgery was 5 months. By the time I went in for surgery I was hunched over and couldn't walk for more the 2 minutes at a time. I under went surgery to repair the herniation and to clean up the area around my nerves in Aug 2010. I never felt as if I was getting better and about a month ago I had another mri done. To find out that I had re herniated the same disc. over the last nine months I have continued to be on pain meds, I have been a human pin cushion for my pain doc. With no relief. Today I seen my nuero surgeon and he gave me two options. to go through another laminectomy or to have a spinal fusion with a spacer. How ever he warns me that if I go with the first and reherniate again my only choice would be the spinal fusion with a spacer. I am 30 years old. I have 3 children. Before all this I was a very active person. but since and with the pain I have had a rough year. I just want to be somewhat normal again and beable to play with my children like I use to. Im at a cross roads as to which option I should choose. I read all these horror stories about other spinal fusions. But they can't all be bad? Right? Im just hoping that their is someone out there around my age that may have a simialar story and can offer me some advice and the pro and cons as to their own surgery. Thanks

• Hello,

We share a similar situation. Ironically, i just posted an update on my situation today as well. Its on here under "6 months since MIS TLIF". If you have a second you might want to read. Also, if you look up my username you can see some of my earlier posts where i was debating between having a second microdiscectomy/lami or having a fusion just like yourself. Very hard decsion. And just like you after my second herniation of the same disc i could not stand straight or walk for more then 10 yards. It was bad. Anyway, i went along and had the fusion. I had a Minamally invasive TLIF. I really couldnt be happier. It wasnt a walk in the park, but i excpected it to be much worse then it was. My recovery has been excellent. Like i posted today, i am very active, i was actually working out at the gym and walking long distances towards the end of the first month. Now Im doing alot more and feel great. I have had a few bad days here and there from overdoing things. Its mainly a muscle sorness and my surgeon says thats going to be there for awhile. It takes along time to heal the muscle the seperate to get to your spine. But a hot bath and im usually good to go the next day. I have zero nerve pain. I cant even believe im saying that because of the amount i was in before. The nerve pain was so severe.

Anyway if i can give you one piece of advise it would be this. FIND THE BEST SURGEON YOU CAN!! They are not all the same, take it upon yourself to find the best. I literally did 100 hours of online research and met with about 6-7 surgeons. The surgeon i had do my procedure is AMAZING. He is in jacksonville and definatley worth the trip if you have the means or are anywhere close. I hope some of this helps you. Send me a private message if i can answer any other questions. Hope you feel better soon.