Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery 4/30/12

talattala Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I can't believe it but my surgery date is just around the corner: 4/30.
After much consideration, research, reading I decided to go the Neuro route. PLIF L5 S1.

I must honestly say the most of my pain IS my back. The lower back right in the middle. I also have some pain in my right hip and right leg. My right foot does get numb and "goes to sleep". When I move/bend my pelvis I get severe pain that radiates from my back, around my right hip and down the outside of my right leg.

So wil.l surgery on Monday fix this? I am beginning to doubt it. Especially after reading some "success stories". I am beginning to think that I will be in more pain long term after the surgery than I am in now.

But, I can't live life in bed forever on pain pills and watch life pass me by out the window.

So...Monday is the day. FUSION day L5 S1 PLIF.

I'm 40...I guess I'm still young enough to pull through this. I'm going to give it everything I got. I got through a double mastectomy so this should be easy. However, with the mastectomy the pain ended and I was just as good as before in good time. Will that be the same ending with this surgery? Oh, goodness I hope and pray that it is so.

I've been living on pain medication for the past 3 months I don't know if I will know how to handle life without the pills. I'm going to give it my best to not have strong pain medication after the surgery. That way I don't mask the pain or the issue and I can hopefully watch my recovery get better day by day.

Maybe I'll hang around this site for awhile and through the surgery. I may need some positive motivators to help me get through this.

Thanks fellow back pain suffers for your input and all the information. It IS greatly appreciated.

• I'm having lumbar surgery/fusion on Monday, Apr 30th too! We'll have to compare notes. I'm 63 and am afraid I won't be able to keep up the PT schedule that's required later. I'll just have to take things slower. BTW, I also have had double mastectomies. That seemed like a piece of cake. Not expecting it to be so easy this time.
  • Sounds like you are down in the dumps right now. You've been through a lot with your double mastectomy. I know it's hard for you now, but try to stay focused and positive. I can tell you are a strong willed person. There are countless success stories out there. A lot of times we just focus on the negatives and don't realize the positives. Sure, my outcome was not what I was expecting, but I have a wife and daughter who I love and they love me very much. I can get around ok. Do things I need to do. It could have gone better for me, but the chances of a failed fusion are very slim. I just had too much done and was told I was not the best candidate for this large of surgery, but I'm here and very happy. God bless, Kevin
  • Well I guess we are surgery buddies. I have to report at 6:30 am. It is going to be a very long day.

What level are you having fused? Do you know how long you will be in the hospital?

I plan on taking my laptop along so if your awake late at night and need to chat I may be on the site.

Good luck with your surgery!

• good luck to you both! please do post how you're feeling after the surgery is completed!
  • Hi Tala,
    I hope by now you are through your surgery and on the mend. I had a PLIF L4,L5,S1 on April 2nd and am doing very well. I am off pain meds (except Tylenol) and do exercises to strenghthen my legs which have been weak for about a year. When I woke up in the recovery room, my sciatica was gone. I found that attitude makes a big difference. Keep moving and every day it will get a little better. keep us informed about your progress- we all care.