Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Both outer thighs numb after lumbar spinal fusion

jeni333jjeni333 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 3 wks post op of a Lateral Interbody spinal fusion, was to be min invasive, all went well w the surgery, but when i got out and was coherent enuff, i realized that both thighs, on out side from knee to hip were numb. also my right leg felt lke and elepahant sat on it, still to this day numbness and the elephant is still on my right leg, i left the hosp w a walker that i used for a few days. i am now able to do steps, one at a time, today we are going to try an injection into l4 to see if that helps the right leg. the numbness he says is normal, although i walk and feel like i am disabled. have 3 wks before i go back to work and i still feel worst then before i had the surg. I am only 45.

SCS implanted 2008, revised 3 times, then taken out 2009. disctectomy l4/5 2009, another discectomy 2010 L4/5, and now all of this.

has anyone had the numbness and leg pain?

Thanks for listening!

• Hi, I had a two level fusion 13 weeks ago and still have nerve pain and altered sensation in both legs. It is slightly better than the first month of recovery.

My right foot and outer part of my right lower leg have been numb since a L5-S1 diskectomy 2.5 years ago. I was back to walking and running despite the numbness, but it didn't ever go away and now after this latest setback it seems worse.

However, I had surgery related nerve damage in my arm 10 yrs ago and remember that it was numb and weird feeling for several years. It's now fine, all the skin sensation and function is back. Nerves only repair at 1cm per month. So long as all the pressure is off, any temporary damage should repair over time. My PT did tell me that some nerve damage is permanent, so there's no guarantee even though that's what everyone here wants and needs.

Good luck.