Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doc gives up. I'm about to lose it!!

fishinwidow98ffishinwidow98 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Lower Back Pain
Quick recap- injured at work 5/2010. Fused L4-S1 9/2010. Hardware removed 6/2011. Irrigation & debridement 11/2011. Physical therapy throughout various treatments etc... In Feb 2012 I felt a pop in my L hip while in PT. Things spiraled downhill fast. Pain in my low back/hip went from a manageable 4/5 to a constant 6/7 when on meds (1800mg Neurontin daily, Perc 7.5 4-6 times a day) I saw the doc last the first of April. He added Butrans 10mg which helped the first few days. I left to go on a month long family trip to Germany Easter Sunday with all the meds I'd need. I ended up cutting my trip short by a 10 days due to increased pain. I called the doc immediately and he upped my dose of Butrans to 20mg which did nothing. I can tell no difference. While in Germany the pain in my left leg/hip spread to my knee. My knee cap feels like it's going to pop off. I did NOTHING to upset it, no twists, falls etc. I've no history of knee pain. Told the doc's MA about the new pain & the fact that I cut my trip short due to pain and they blew me off. Yesterday I FINALLY spoke to the MA who acted shocked that I took more meds than what I had been taking regardless of the multiple calls to tell them about the pain. I'm rambling- I'm sorry- but I'm hysterical. The doc is sending me to pain management. I went to pick up my refill for the Perc and they gave me a months supply. They're throwing pills at me. No one is giving me any answers. What am I supposed to do now? I'm not sleeping through the night because I wake up every 2-3 hours to take pain meds. I can't walk without pain. I can't sit without pain. I can't lie down without pain. And now the doc is giving up and sending me to a pain doc. We've been this route before. They gave me worthless injections & steroids that caused me to pack on 70 pounds. I'm beside myself with anxiety & fear. I feel ignored, I feel like the doc & his staff are treating me like a seeker, & I feel like my world is over. I'm 33 years old. What do I have to look forward to now??? Does ANYONE have any suggesstions??? ANYTHING??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!! ~X(

• Tell the emergency room doctor your situation and say you need a second opinion and someone to advocate for you.
    Go on all hospital websites in major centres near where you live and e mail them asking for direction and assistance.
    I have just done that and I had 3 teaching hospitals contact me in 24 hours. Once you do this, you know that there are caring competent people out there who will respond to your needs. You will feel more in control.
    If you have a dud as a GP you have to be your own advocate.
    The best of luck. There are lots of great caring professionals out there...you just need to hook up with them.
    Hope you soon experience pain relief.
  • Therein lies the problem.

1) I work in the ER & all they'll do is dope me up and send me home with instructions to follow up with my doc

2) I'm on workers comp so I am at the mercy of whoever my employer sends me to. I've asked my atty to find me a doc for a second opinion but I'm not optimistic. I don't see any way out of this.
  • The first question is have they said your hip pain is definitely related to work comp? While I understand where you say you hurt yourself, the question is, is work comp accepting the claim? Have you looked at the records of the treating doctors to be sure this hip pain is in it? My guess is the doctor doesn't know what is wrong, nor does he/she feel that the hip issues is related to work comp. So if they send you to pain management then it kind of covers everything. I would think a secondary claim would have needed to be opened for the hip injury to be part of the claim. Keep in mind many attorney's see clients whom say they have additional injuries when they don't, as if they are helping the claim along. My best suggestion is go have a face to face with your attorney and find out wether they actually believe the secondary injury. After that have your attorney demand work comp to order a mri as to what is wrong with your hip. They can't treat what they don't know is wrong with someone.

The fact they are giving you meds, I don't think your getting treated like a seeker, but rather just sending you out, as work comp doctors can only treat patients within certain guidlines and they do get pressure from the insurance companies all the time.
  • Hi tamtam,

The hip issue developed while I was in PT for the back issue. Doc thinks it might be scar tissue compressing the nerve but since scar tissue doesn't show on an MRI it's difficult to pin point. The hip pain is steady and achy now, the intense pain has spread to the knee area which I know can be a potential effect from sciatic nerve compression issues. As for my doc, he was actually my doc from a prior case & up till now has been very involved in keeping me in the loop with options & specifics. Now all of a sudden though it seems he's throwing in the towel and calling it quits. The medical records show (and continue to show) that the pain I'm experiencing is radicular from the initial back injury & the attorney is all over it. We ARE fighting for the pelvic MRI which the doc ordered but WC denied so hopefully that happens soon.

My issue that as me spastic is that I'm young, I'm healthy (or was- I was active, healthy, vibrant etc...)I have 2 kids, and a life. I'm afraid I'm going to be disabled, or spend my life gorked out on pills. That's NOT how I want to live. My fear stems from the people I know locally who see pain management docs & their worlds revolve around their meds. It's frustrating. I feel like more can/should be done before throwing me to the pain docs...
  • The best thing (hindsight) would have been to see a doctor when you where in Germany as an emergency to get around the WC docs- I here they are about 10 years ahead of our spine guys in Germany.

I think you are caught between a rock & a hard place. You may need to just pay to see a private doc - if they find something then the WC doc is going to at least have to look at that option.
  • Fishinwidow98-
    I can't say as I have been in your situation with workers comp but I have been In a situation where it felt like I was being dismissed. My first doctor did that, told me to "lose weight" when PT wasn't working. He didn't try anything else, no other tests. I felt defeated. I have a sister who ruined her life being addicted to pain pills, so I was reluctant to go to pain management. But in the end I referred myself to pain management because I didn't know what else to do. I have also gained 60+ lbs with the steroid shots which didn't help, and I feel I got worse instead of better but in the end, when nothing worked, he sent me for an MRI at a different location and that is when they found my tear.

So maybe something good will come of this for you too. I don't know what, but you can't let it get you down. I know, easy for me to say. I will be leaving a MIS TLIF on Monday and fear "once a back patient, always a back patient".

Have faith and something good will happen soon. It just has too!

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • take magnesium citrate to relax the muscles...

and work your pain area with deep massage for circulation and oxygen...

take a proactive approach....

do as mcuh as you can on yourself to relive the pain with natural tools and methods, supplements, deep breathing, etc,

it takes time for it to work,

but the results are permanent,

the results come slow and in small increments,

drugs kill pain but also destroy the body`s ability to heal itself,

that`s why they are a catch 22...cause you build tolerance to them....

detox lots of water....

water is very improtant in reducing pain levels...

water carries oxygen....

pain is a sign oxygen depletion....

Live to Pray
This discussion has been closed.