Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to site, not new to lower back pain !

BuckarooBBuckaroo Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi , I'm in UK and found this site a huge benefit over the last few months, so thought I'd say Hi, and share the pain, as they say :-)

I,m female, 41 yrs young and active, often refusing to accept I have a back problem.
12 years as a farrier made me change career 12 yrs ago due to repeated backache which I presume all farriers get!
On/off lower back pain for past 15 yrs or so, varied in episodes but debilitating in 2003 and fully immobile for 2 days, doc said nothing to worry about, diclofenac and rest ?
Shunted in rear end car accident 2009, similar attack. Same as always. Doc gave as much diclofenac on repeat I needed, backed up with 2 months physio from insurance of other driver.

Jan12. Problem just ain't going away so back to doc, this time full bloods, X-rays , more diclofenac, diazepam at night 5mg and paracetamol.
X-ray report = Moderate degenerative changes in the intervertebral joints at L4/L/5, L5/S1 with osteophyte formation. No vertebral destruction. Normal alignment.
White blood count very high 17.3, neut 13.18
Repeated but same.
Referred to consultant. Diagnosed DDD, Osteoarthritis, he said bones misaligned ,one slightly slipped, advised physio and MRI.

MRI = Normal vertebral body height and alignment. End plate degenerative change at L4/5. The lower two disks are degenerative. Changes worse at L4/5 suggesting a transitional lumbosacral junction. For the purposes of this report the lowest fully formed in vertebral disk is designated L5/S1. Incidental haemangioma L4 vertebral body.
Axial imaging- L3/4 normal
L4/5 diffuse disk. This causes moderate central canal stenosis and very early bilateral foraminal narrowing. Facet joints at this level are well preserved.
L5/S1 small broad based posterior disk bulge indenting thecal sac but no overt canal stenosis. Early left neutral foraminal narrowing.
Nothing to suggest infection at any level.
Normal sacroiliac joints.
Conclusion= Possible transitional lumbosacral junction. Degenerative Disk Disease, particularly at L4/5.

Back to docs, advised nothing to worry about, over the counter pain meds, diazepam as before as and when needed and physio, retook bloods as still not known why high white blood count. Awaiting results.

So an hour at Physio today, hurts during and since session but will live with that, weekly sessions for next two months.

Ok, nowhere near as bad as some of you guys on here, but just needed to share the pain, no idea what all the reports mean for now but reckon they would intervene if I needed it?

Can't move much in the mornings, like rigor mortis sets in overnight, have trouble bending over, hurts when sitting or standing too long or after physical exercise. No more horse shoeing :-(

Terrified of hospitals so if surgery is ever mentioned i would have kittens !

Anyway, long intro but glad to meet you all xx
Surgery = 2 level Active L replacement discs
L4/5 L5/S1 Sept 2012, feeling great !

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I hope the physio makes you feel better. If not they'll go on to the next phase of treatment. Please let us know how your doing.
    Welcome to SH forums.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • The physio was combined with massage as a first session, strange overwhelming sensation of extreme tiredness on the way home, no idea why.
    It was uncomfortable but did seem to make me less stiff for a while, so maybe there hope.
    Same rigor situation this morning though :-(
    Take it day by day, that's the plan.

Try again next week x
  • Hmmm, had a long day Thursday, I spent 6hours trudging and sliding through very deep mud, with lots of uneven ground, thing is, since then I have been getting very sharp stabbing pains, almost like electric shocks in my spine every time I lean back ! this is in addition to my usual back problems.

Never had this before and just wondered if I should get it checked out or see if it subsides ?
    Anybody else get these, ?
    I'd be glad of your opinions
  • Well, I was determined the physio and "over the counter pain meds" would sort me out !
    This is the second course of physio since 2010 where it has made my symptoms worse, I was in so much pain and discomfort during physio yesterday that she practically refused to continue!
    Think it's time to admit defeat and seek further medical help :-(
    Anybody here heard of or used Best Doctors? It's available to me through my employer and has been recommended by a colleague, they sent a courier to collect all my records and X-ray, MRI discs etc to be reviewed by this panel of experts.
    Will see what they say but just wondered if anybody heard of them?

I can't move when I wake up now, feel stupid and demoralised crawling out of bed backwards :-(