Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping on side after ACDF?

Froggy GirlFFroggy Girl Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 1 level ACDF @ c3/c4 13 days ago & my doctor told me to wear my hard collar at all times while out of bed, but that I didn't have to wear it while I'm sleeping. Well I've been sleeping with it up until now for stability on advice from several people that have gone through this before. But I still have really bad shoulder pain & realized that may be the cause. So thought I would try sleeping w/o the brace. However I have a really hard time sleeping on my back & was just wondering how dangerous it would be if I rolled over in my sleep & ended up on my side this early in my recovery?

• I slept on my side soon after the ACDF with my collar. The doctor said you didn't have to wear the collar, but maybe you could get a soft collar for some peace of mind for you. There could be other reasons for shoulder pain. Maybe you are tensing your shoulders or pushing up against the collar, causing the pain. I had an issue with muscle spasms in my shoulder which caused pinching of a nerve in the shoulder causing pain.

Can you call the doctor's office for some advice?

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I had 3 level acdf, three months now. Had to sleep in the recliner for a few weeks before I could transfer to the bed comfortably. Had a Lot of trouble with spasms in my back and shoulder. Anyway I've never been one to sleep on my side but my wife brought a neck pillow from the drug store, it's very small and it's full of beads, sorry I don't know the name but it's extremely comfortable when you lay on your side. When you lay on it it seems to support my head and makes my shoulders and back relax. No more cramps. Have been doing this for several months now. It's a regular pillow shape but about the third of the size. Works very well for me!
  • Hi again. I had acdf c4/c5 and had a soft collar with instructions to use it when outside of the house, or if I felt I needed the support. I slept on my back for a few days but found it uncomfortable so I ended up on my side. My NS was ok with it for me but it never hurts to call yours to make sure. I also used a small travel pillow early on and found it helpful.