Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior cervical fusion recovery - now having back pain!!!

justajerseygirljjustajerseygirl Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 3 1/2 weeks post op from an anterior cervical fusion with tataniam plate and screw. I still don't have my voice except for a haspy hoarse whisper. I was able to take my collar off last week and now I am in more pain than I was when I came home. I feel all kinds of pains through my mid and lower back and I did not have that while I was wearing the collar. I am getting really worried that I have something else going on. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? I feel like I was doing better and then once my collar came off, it has gotten worse. Any information would really be appreciated! Thanks!!!

• Did you wean yourself off the collar - taking it off for an hour, putting it back on for a while, then taking it off longer each time. After my ACDF I did it too quickly and pain levels really went up. They told me to put the collar back on and do the weaning, and that helped.

Welcome, Jersey Girl! Where abouts in Jersey? I used to live there?

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I only wore the collar for about 2 1/2 weeks. I had to get an x-ray to make sure that the fusion was ok and then they told me to take the collar off. I didn't take it off at all from the time I left the hospital and had to put different one on when I took a shower. I have just been through complete hell since this happened to me. I ended up with a spinal injury from a chiropractor manipulation and have never been through anything like this in my life. I just want to get back to normal and be out of pain.
    I had asked if I should wear the collar for sleeping or anything and they told me to take it off and not wear it at all. I was wearing a soft collar for almost 2 weeks before surgery due to have uncontrollabe spasms of my head, arm and upper body so maybe that is why my back feels so bad now. Not real sure but I want to be better and it's taking too long!
  • I just noticed that you have had to have surgery 2 times. Did you have an accident?
  • Spasms are pretty common after acdf. I can tell you that first hand. I'm at three months now and no more spasms. I have had I'll call it a choking sensation since my surgery. My voice would be very hoarse at the end of the day or when I was tired but not all the time. Really don't have much trouble now, I've been told the choking sensation will pass with time. It is much better now than in the beginning. I spent the night after my original surgery but then had to spend another day in the hospital because my throat had swelled up. I couldn't eat or drink or take any medicine. Got dehydrated and spent another day in the hospital. Had to take some strong steroids and they worked pretty well.
  • eidted by tam as spam
  • edited by tam as spam