Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-op day yesterday...

VinGVVinG Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It was a long day. Spine class, 3 doctors (ENT, internest, Ortho), nurses, blood/urine, EKG, etc.... My wife mentioned to the internest an item that was on a CT scan from a few years ago when I had kidney stones. Apparently I have a small amount of scarring on my lungs, possibly from all the anesthesia I had when I was little (when they used gas) and had over 20 surgeries. So, I have to go back on Tuesday for a pulmonary function test.

ENT surgeon said he will be there to do incision and move everything out of the way. Because I'm having c3-4, and c5-6-7, he will be making a 3-4 inch "S" shaped cut. Also, since I have a short, thick neck c3-4 might be difficult to get to, but they will do their best. He also said I will definately be intubated overnight, and not to plan on eating solids for 4 weeks.

- Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012

• we will be thinking about you when surgery arrives! Focus on why you are doing it. Out of necessity, to get better. My surgery, double fusion C5-C7 is tomorrow, and i am freakin out a bit, but trying to think ahead, towards recovery and hopefully to getting a lot better.

Im surprised how all people seem to have extensive pre ops! Mine was blood work and a urine test, and blood pressure. Thats it. No EKG, no neck brace fitting, no spine class or other tests. Did i miss something?
    My surgeon has told me i need to have a mami j collar for about 2 weeks, maybe i dont need to get fitted for one of those? I keep on hearing that people get fitted for their braces pre op...

Let us know how everything goes for you!
    Best of luck with tests and surgery.

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • Ok so here I am 3 weeks post op and although there is some pain it is nothing compared to before, I also thought I would have really restricted ROM but not so, I know how far I can go and you just deal with it. I will keep both of u in my thoughts for smooth recovery. I am so glad I did it and I remember how scared I was, just keep the faith.
    Kimberly Martin
  • thanks for your post, it is so good to read a positive outcome, i am still at the scared point trying to remember that its hobsons choice here, not having the op isnt really an option. so thank you and i hope your recovery continues smoothly.

my pre op didnt contain any fittings for collars either, will just be trying to take each day as it comes. good luck
  • My experience has been that most people won't get fitted with their collar until right after their surgery. The dressings will go on and then the collar, before you are even woken up.

Vin, hang in there, we are all sending good thoughts your way for your surgery. Before you know it you will be on the "other" side, in recovery!

Keep us posted as you are able.

• Just like scalp Hair Restoration surgery, there are other parts of the body that have hair and require the same procedure, if there is a loss of hair. In most cases, men require facial Hair Restoration apart from chest hair re-growth. The Restoration process for facial hair is different and includes Hair Transplantation for eyebrows, beard, mustache and chest. Not only is the process different but it takes a precise hand and years of experience to do it.
  • I had c4c5 fused but my surgeon never uses collars anymore for one or two level thank god that would drive me nuts