Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Scheduled Soon

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm scheduled for a two level ACDF Friday the 18th. I'm a little stressed to say the least. I know this is a routine procedure, and I did not think I would have any anxiety, but I do. Possible because it is starting to sink in that it is inevitable. Just stressed and could use a little support.

• Hi tkdan, like you i am due surgery next week, vertebrectomy next wednesday. like you i am really anxious too, i am thinking that if we had no anxiety we wouldnt be human? and you are right, we dont have a choice when it comes to this sort of surgery and i think that feeling of it not being our choice contributes to our feeling a bit out of control? what do you think? But with help from our friends we will get through this because we must, and hope that the future will be a little more secure because of it. good luck and hope to catch up when we are on the other side of our ops.
  • I look at it this way, Routine procedures are something they perform on someone else. When it comes to me, :T there is nothing routine about it, I want the attention of everyone focused on getting this one "special" procedure done right. Then they can go back to routine...
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I don't think of this as a routine surgery, maybe one done frequently, but not routine. I was an OR nurse and I scrubbed many of these before I had mine. I was still nervous.

Most people do exceptionally well with this surgery, and it is not a "new" procedure, lots of history and data with it. It continuously improves with refinements of technology and implants, but the basics are the same.

I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and that we see you back on the site soon, telling us all how well you are doing.

Thinking of you,
  • Thanks for the replies. Welshlady, I do feel that the lack of control contributes to my being uneasy about it all.
    Ok routine may have been the wrong word. I do know two people personally that have had very good results with this sugery. One is five years out and doing fine the other is my sister and she is ten years out and doing great. That gives me a little comfort.