Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LTD - Please Advise, RE: "Attending Physician Statement"

dukeXLIFddukeXLIF Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Health Insurance Issues

I'm applying for long term disability with my employer's insurance company (metlife). First time doing this. Please share any advice you have.

More specifically, the "attending physician" is my surgeon who performed my fusion 2 years ago (and ruined my life). But, he takes no time at all to delve into my condition or help (just wanted the $ from surgery). The last time I saw him was a little over 2 months ago. When I applied for STD, I basically filled out all the info myself and sent to his nurse to sign. I did this because his office knows little about me and wouldn't put much effort into detailed explanations of my problems. (a typical visit includes my bringing in an MRI, him looking at it for 10 seconds, saying fusion looks good, end of appointment).

So, I've filled out some of the fields for them this time too. But not all. Some that I am questioning whether I should supply information or not for are:
-"Primary ICD-9", "Diagnosis":
-Secondary ICD-9", "Diagnosis::
-"Subjection Symptoms":
-"Objective Findings"
-Current & Recommended Treatment Plans":

The STD fields were easy and these are more tailored towards a "medical language" response. I don't know how you would write the answers to some of those fields. So, if you recommend I help the doctor answer some of these fields, could you please help show me what some sample answers would be? I would obviously need to tailor to myself.

So, for example, under "objective findings" would it be appropriate to say:
"Patient shows failed fusion at L5/S1 according to MRI on Feb. 29th, 2012. Patient also shows spinal stenosis on CT-Scan and MRI from October 12, 2012"?

I am somewhat concerned with the doctors lack of engagement in my treatment and how that my appear to the insurance company. Seems like insurance may wonder why I haven't seen my surgeon more, why he doesn't have a clear treatment plan, why he doesn't have detailed description of my condition. Please let me know any advice you have in this area.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    These are common medical terms - that if your surgeon won't complete, I would hope your primary care/internal medicine doctor would.

Either that of take all the records you can get your hands on and see another surgeon.

Keep us posted - good luck and healing!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    You'll be needing these type of forms completed on a regular basis (sometimes every 6-12 months).

At my surgeon's office his Medical Assistant does the forms so contact the office and see who completes the forms, then talk to that person.

I create a 'personal statement' for the Medical Assistant. I go line by line over the Attending Physician Statement in creating my own. If the first question is "symptoms?" I have in my statement "I remain unable to work due to my symptoms of x, y and z".

I'll do a post in just a moment with my sample layout.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Personal Statement for (name)
    (today's date ) xx/xx/xxxx
    DOB xx/xx/xxxx
    SS# xxx-xx-xxxx (if needed, I avoid giving it out)

My occupation required the following which I am unable to do given my current medications, neck, knee and back problems:
    • Physical stamina to perform client visits/meetings along with associated travel (driving and flying).
    • Lifting/ carrying/pushing/pulling : 30+ lbs occasionally.
    • Constant and sustained neck extension and neck flexion. Constant reaching and arm extension.
    • Frequent and sustained trunk movement with prolonged sitting/ standing/walking.
    • Occasional kneeling, crouching, stooping, and bending.
    • Constant typing/fingering. Constant computer and Blackberry use.
    • Frequent packing, un-packing, and carrying of materials for client and employee meetings.
    • Frequent customer meetings or trainings including air travel and extended periods of standing, sitting, walking, carrying and handling laptop and boxes of materials.
    • Frequent document handling/management including multi-level file cabinet with heavy file handling.

Current Ability/Tolerance:
    • Sitting 1-2 hr with position and chair changes. Neck strain with sustained sitting.
    • Standing or Walking <1 hr. Need frequent sitting breaks, no sustained walking/standing.
    • Bending/Stooping: None.
    • Lifting/Carrying:• <10 lbs Occasionally ; 10-19 lbs Rarely; 20-49 lbs+ Never
    • Use of hands: Limited by neck pain and radiculopathy. Frequent numbness/tingling in arms and hands
    • Physical Impairment: Severe limitations due to multiple spine and knee problems, and significant pain medications

I currently treat with Dr. XYZ and Dr. ABC for increasingly severe right knee pain and swelling. I have treated with Dr. ABC from 2002 to present. Recent right knee MRI shows significant arthritis.

My previous spine surgeon was Dr. CY (04/25/06 through 05/27/09). He performed a C5-C6-C7 ACDF in 2006 and posterior foraminotomy in 2008. I switched to Dr. JL for spine care effective 06/23/09 (to present). He performed a L3-S1 fusion 02/2010 and I recently had a cervical MRI with treatment to be determined in the near future. I’ve had persistent cervical pain and pain radiating into shoulder and arms, from 2005 to present.

For pain management I treated with Dr. PKL 2004 through 03/13/09. He performed various epidural injections and prescribed medications. I switched to Dr. PKUZ for Pain Management effective 04/25/09 to present. Treatments I have received from Dr. PKUZ, and Dr. GXY in his practice, include medication management, epidural injections, nerve ablations, and diagnostic discograms.

My last day of work was xx/xx/xxxx due to severe cervical pain and radiculopathy and new onset lumbar problems with prior lumbar surgery history. My employer ceased accommodations in early 2009 (work at home, flex time, flex days, remote laptop access, etc) and consequently my existing neck pain worsened and I later developed a new onset of lumbar pain. Please note that my job was eliminated last Fall so returning to my old job is not an option at this time.

Current Pain Medications: MS Contin 10 mg 2x/day; Soma 250 mg 3x/day; Norco 7.5mg/325 mg 3x/day; Neurontin 600 mg 3x/day

Names and contact info for all physicans:

Dr. X (PCP) Valley Family Health, 1234 N. Main St, Mesa, AZ, 85858. Phone 480-555-5555 Fax 480-555-5555

Dr. Y (Pain Mgmt); Desert Pain Services, 5678 S. 1st St, Phoenix, AZ 85025; Phone 602-555-5555; Fax 602-555-5555

Dr. Z (Spine Surgeon); Central Orthopedic Consultants, 9999 E. Any St, Scottsdale, AZ, 88558; Phone 623-555-5555; Fax 623-555-5555

Joe Brown, Physical Therapist, Arrow PT Center; 1010 W. Green Drive, Glendale, AZ 84848; Phone: 623-555-5555; Fax 623-555-5555
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you Metailneck. I don't have a primary care as I recently relocated. So...it's definitely time to find one! Good luck to you as well.
  • SpineAZ,

Thank you for sharing that with me. Very helpful! And, sorry for the delay I was away from the site for a couple weeks. I'm going to be persistent with this doc as well as helpful (by compiling something like what you posted) in order to get the necessary forms filled out currently. And, hopefully I'll have a PCP that is more helpful for future paperwork needs.