Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain, 1.5 cm disc fragment L5 S2

siobhan odssiobhan od Posts: 1
Hi there,

Im looking for advice as to the best form of treatment for my current back condition. Im a 25 yr female in good overall health. Im approx 5ft 11 inches and well built. I have always had a back weakness, however last Decemember after a though week training for a run i started to get server pain down my leg, was unable to sit comfortable, numbness and weakness in my right foot and pins and needles. I knew this was not right, in Jan I got an MRI scan, ther were a number of small dicc protrusions and bulges that caused no neural comprimise. I had however a large free disc fragmentation 1.5cm likely, posterior to the L5 vertebral on the right. I t extends from the L5 S1 to the L4-5 qnd results in high grade mass effect on the theca. Now, I really have no idea what any of that means!!! only that my chiropractor suggested surgery, otheres rest, otheres swimming. Its been 4 months since the MRI, I swim once a week, experience pain rarely, I wish to go back playing basketball, and go back to my regular training regime, but i am afraid of doing some lasting damage,,, what should I do?? bare in mind that I have yet tried any form of treatment and it has gradully got better. I still however have a weakness in my right leg and cannot sprint comfortably yet. I have not been to a physio or doctor since Jan. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated, Regards, Siobhan in Sydney.