Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LawrlLLawrl Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello! I've been looking for a community to talk to for awhile. I am 22/female with scoliosis (unsure of degree, told it was moderate). This condition causes me pain pretty much every day in my lower back. Today it hurts to even walk. The only relief I get is when I lay down.

I'm going to a doctor's appointment next week to see if my curve has progressed. Up until a year ago, I never had this amount of pain, though I was diagnosed pretty young. Nothing was done as a child.

It seems like scoliosis has taken so much from me. I used to love to play guitar. Now I have trouble doing so because of back pain. I love to dance, same deal. I had dreams of doing gymnastics this summer. Nope.

I have tried physical therapy twice and both times, it has failed to be effective. In my most recent stretch I strengthened my core muscles, but it did not change the pain. This is very frustrating for me. I feel old even though I am in my 20s. I am living in constant fear of the pain never going away/getting to the point where I can't walk. I am also terrified of the surgery, if my doctor recommends it. I have tried to talk to my friends and boyfriend about my fears; they have tried to help me, but think I am kinda overreacting. Which may be true. I know my pain isn't near as bad as many people on this forum.

So, I am looking to talk with people with my issues. Perhaps get a few ideas for alternative treatments. It would also be great just to get some friends for moral support. I really want to return to my positive outlook and I am trying so hard, but the pain is just too much.

Thanks for reading!

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. so glad you dropped in!this is a great site to make new friends and find out all kinds of information about your condition.. i am sure that being around others here on the forum and talking through some of the points of surgery you are so worried about will help you.. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for more input.. also look at the "Alternative Treatmnents forum" for more ideas there!! i hope being around others who feel as bad as you do will help you to feel a bit better with the pain. you sound very dehabilitated with the pain. i do hope you are feeling better soon! good luck to you! stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • Thanks so much for the welcome, Jenny. I have been browsing around the forums and I've been feeling better just realizing there are others around there going through the same issues. I really think this will help me stay positive.
  • Yes! This is definitely the right place to be :) There is SO much helpful information here but, as you mentioned, this is just an awesome place to "vent". Everyone here is in some degree of pain, so we know how you feel. I doubt you're over-reacting at all. Everybody handles the pain differently, and usually it even varies from day to day. Some days are great for me, and I have very little pain and am extremely happy. Some days I have a lot of pain and I just feel miserable and depressed. I consider myself a very well adjusted and grounded person too, so it happens to the best of us (LOL I'm not really the best ;) hahaha... but darn close ;) j/k!

So welcome! Stick around. We'll be here for you and only ask that you're here for us when it's our turn :) Misery loves company
  • Thanks, Certifried! You're right-venting can be a huge help. I don't think my friends understand just letting me talk out my issues helps. Because if you can discuss it with someone, you're not truly alone.