Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Morphogenic Protein - Your Thoughts & Experienced

BackToWorkBBackToWork Upstate NYPosts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What is your experience with and/or thoughts about Bone Morphogenic Protein? My Neurodoc wants to use it on a TLIF he's planning for me.

• BackToWorkBBackToWork Upstate NYPosts: 31
    I meant XLIF,not TLIF
  • first. I found out mine was not covered BMP in my first 4 level lumbar fusion. The cost of the BMP was 38000 dollars. I had my left then right si joints fused using BMP and each side costs 8000 dollars not covered by insurance. It has its pros and cons which they say is quicker and better fusion results, but sometimes grows too much bone. This is what i've heard. I had a unfortunate result on not fusing correctly at l5-S1, but can't be sure what caused it. Just be sure and check to see if BMP is covered. It's usually not. Kevin
  • on Spine Health for information on BMP that several members have posted. "ERNURSE" has done a huge amount of research that she has posted on here about the use of BMP.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
    I did a Search before... and found absolutely nothing... a blank page... I just did a Search again, and again I got a Blank Page... I thought something was fishy so... using the Chrome Browser, and some extensions, I turned off all of my extensions, and Wallah!

...so I just thought I'd post real quick that if anybody is using Adblock Plus, or Widget Block, or anything like that with your Chrome Browser, turn them off before searching this site for stuff.

Ok, Back to research... my surgery is this Monday, (May 14th, 2012)... I'm getting the XLIF with the BMP, so I want to know all about it, so I know what to expect. I just learned about it, and was told that it was going to be used, this past Tuesday, the 8th...

• I have BMP in both neck and back. I fuse really fast with it compared to when they used my own and donor bone graphs. But there is new studies out the BMP may be related to cancer. Will have to see what further studies will revile, and pray that it is not correct.
    Jeeze!!! YOU are Way Too Young for all that nonsense... were you hit by a truck or something?!?! Yikes!!!

You look pretty and you're smiling in your profile pic (nice hair too), so i'm guessing that you're walking.

Cancer Shmancer! What doesn't cause cancer anymore. They say just "infections" of any kind, cause 1 in 6 cancers... whatever that means... but there's a whole huge list of cancer causing this and that's. The odds are probably the same as a freight train hitting you in your living room while watching re-runs of I Love Lucy.

I ain't worried about what might happen... I'm concerned about what's happening right now... and honestly, I'm not "worried" about anything... I'm just not. Right now, I'd like to be without pain and functional to a point where I can walk my dogs. The rest is gravy.

I do want to know what to look for in any symptoms that might be related to this protein muck so that if things start developing I can get on it in time for possible treatments. I'm a fixit guy and that's my nature... know how a thing works... so that if it breaks, I can fix it. If I could reach behind me real good, I'd do my own surgery...

• Cancer from BMP? I'll roll the dice on that one if it means I get a chance at getting my life back,as a matter of fact I did twice.According to my Doc the odds are about the same as someone who has 2 soft drinks a day.
  • Cancer from BMP? I'll roll the dice on that one if it means I get a chance at getting my life back,as a matter of fact I did twice.According to my Doc the odds are about the same as someone who has 2 soft drinks a day.
  • The biggest concern is the bone over growth, and usually doesn't present itself till 4-6 weeks post surgery. The bad news is you can't really see it on images, not to mention if you don't already have nerve damage the damage it can cause. Now if your surgeon is skilled in the use of it, it can be avoided. I think some of those studies are from the early use, and some thought more would be better, which is not the case obviously. Keep in mind BMP will have dissolved in your body before you even leave the hospital, which is just how fast it starts working.
    Hi TamTam... thanks for your input... my doc has used it a lot and when talking about it he gave me percentages and all that... he's never seen the problems mentioned while using it, and the percentages he gave me of those that did, were very low... 1-2%. He's a very, very, careful guy, by nature, it seems. He had me wait a long time before getting me in for surgery... and gave me the gambit of tests, including but not limited to an EMG.

... at that time he also had me scheduled for some diagnostic "shots" with the "shot" doctor, which, after the EMG, he found unnecessary. The EMG showed "past damage, recent damage, and ongoing damage".

He gave me a very thorough pre-op... going over every detail. He showed me the "laundry list" of things that could happen before, during, and after surgery... and I had to sign off on it... everything from ingrown toenails to coma.

But that's just it. His preference is to do this XLIF, involving the Chief Surgeon to make "access", and some Nerve Guy to monitor my nerves... when I'm thinking that it would be easier, since he's going to be there anyway, to just do another TLIF... so I believe there's a reason for that... i just don't know enough, and I'm not going to second guess my Neurosurgeon who up til now seems brilliant to me.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    After 4 failed cervical surgeries my surgeon told me there was one more thing we could try.....BMP. At the time it was not approved for cervical fusions. What choice did I have? So I went for it. Im finally fused and so far no problems, knock on wood!!!! My neck is stable and it has been a few years since the surgery. Long term effects I dont have a clue. My surgeons biggest concern using this was swelling in the post -op period from the bmp. Prepared me that if IT did swell I could wake up with a vent to breath for me until the swelling went down. thank god the swelling never reached that point. I did swell more then normal but not enough to affect my breathing. What the future holds for me due to using BMP I dont have a clue. Would I do it again....absolutely!
  • (Subscribing To Thread)
    Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.
  • Hopefully your surgery went well. I had BMP in my lumbar spine, fortunately covered it at a pre-negotiated price of 15K (several years back). Still, I was very, very slow to fuse.

BMP is only FDA approved for single level lumbar fusion from the anterior approach. My understanding is everything else is still off-label, including the other approaches. Cervical spine use is definitely off-label. As some of the above posts indicate, the biggest concern is ectopic bone growth (bone growing where it shouldn't). The company says this is more dependent on placement and use of the correct amounts by the surgeon. In the lumbar spine, ectopic bone growth can press on nerves (cause more pain, possible paralysis), but in guys I think the more common side effect of concern is retrograde ejaculation/sexual dysfunction. Its been mentioned by a few guys here.

Take it easy. Even if you feel OK, do NOT bend, lift or twist!