Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery scheduled for May 22nd

pataird1124ppataird1124 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Newbie here. I am going be having neck fusion of c5-6 and c6-7 May 22nd. Now. This is first Neck surgery but not first surgery. I have a total of 12 surgeries most allinternal stuff, removal of 1/2 of colon, gallbadder, appendix, tonsils, a broken bone from my foot that never healed, come to find out it was an axtra I was born with. But needless to say this one has me pretty damn. I have put it off about 8-10 years but after having 2 wrecks in 2 months, neither our fault I am out of options. This one freaks me out is there any words of confidents out there......HELP ME GET THROUGH THIS PLEASE!!!!

Hopeful heart.

• Believe me you are not the only one to be scared!

Look back at some of the previous pages, and you will see posts from the last few weeks from several people who were scared pre-op, but are now on the road to recovery.

This is a great place to come because there is always someone who can relate to what you're going through. We get it. You can ask questions, rant or just read and learn from those who have been where you are now, and where the future may take you.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you,

• Hi Pataird,

i am having c6 vertebrectomy on this coming wednesday, i am also so scared, i havent been this scared since i was a kid. at the moment i am having difficulty being distracted from the fear although i keep trying to do all i can to think of other things! but i keep reminding myself that i am HUMAN therefore it is appropriate to be scared, its what i do with that fear thats important, so i am using mine to make sure i am as prepared for the coming months as i can possibly be, so that i can then just take it one day at a time post op. if we cant be scared now then there is never a time to be scared i guess! think this site is really great for support, it already has been for me and you can see i havent been on here very long, keep checking in and get all the support you can, thats what i am doing, and then will hopefully give some support back when i am less full of this fear! good luck to you my comrade in fear, we will make it through cos we have no other choice, it will be tough but we are strong and even stronger when we are supported. :H
  • I just had a fusion at c4c5 two days ago. I was terrified. I was really sore in neck and shoulders yesterday , couldnt really swallow this morning and was really worried. I feel fine now just ate nachos all my pain in my arm and legs pre-op is gone. This was my first surgery so I was extra terrified, lol. Not nearly as bad as I imagined. Good luck
  • I have a titanium plate, donor bone and screws, went through the front nice scar that will probably totally disappear, just taking 2mg dilaudid every 4 hours
  • 6 days ago! Went through the exact same process as you pre-op.
    Terrified and confused about outcome, but it was a necessary surgery to get quality of life back and stop further nerve damage.

Still too early to know how succesful this has been, but my nerve pain and arm weakness was gone right after surgery. Finger coordination improved immediately as well.

Today is 6 days post-op and Im dealing with the usual post-op pain, but every day now brings healing and improvement. I can feel it.

Before you know it, you will be on the other side - the recovery side, and can start looking forward to new goals!

Anything you would like to ask in regards to my experience of having the same levels done as you, feel free!

All the best,
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • Hi,

I am glad your surgery is over! I remember reading your posts leading up to your surgery and was wondering how you were. I am so glad it wasn't as bad as you thought.

Maybe mine won't be so bad either. I wish you a really speedy recovery.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I too need acdf within the next couple of months. You will be fine. You need to get your quality of life back and the acdf is a reliable surgery with great outcomes.

I understand your fear, I have it too, but this is a very supportive forum and we are all here for you. I wish you a very speedy recovery and you will be in my prayers.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I think that part of all our journeys through the minefield of cervical surgery includes fear. It's pure instinct.

The good thing is that journey also includes recovery. The length of that trip is different for us all, but I hope the messages above help you to see how soon you can see the changes.

Praying for your smooth recovery, keep us posted about how you're as you can,