Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain medication help needed

greg702ggreg702 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Medications
I have had a 2 level cervical fusion last year and while most of my neck pain has gone, I am suffering from really bad shoulder pain. It feels as if my shoulder muscles are on fire. I am on percocets 4 times a day, soma 3 times a day, ibuprofin 800 mg 3 times a day and gabapentin 600mg once a day.

I know everyone is different, but my current medication only helps me a little bit with the pain and it lasts for less than 2 hours or sometimes it feels like I had zero pain relief.

My doc and his PA do not want me on opana and lyrica because I do not have insurance and its cheaper for me to take what I'm on. Ok its not cheap as it costs me almost 100 bucks a month for all of my scripts, but yeah lyrica and opana would probably be more like a $500 month from what I've heard. But I am wondering would opana and lyrica help me much more? Or is there any other medication that is generic that I should try first? They already hate it that I am on percs 4 times a day. If it was up to me I'd probably take it 6 times a day. My tolerance to it has me bothered too as I feel that I am close to being an addict. I just can't help it that I'm in this much pain all the time. It gets so bad that sometimes I just feel like putting a gun to my head and pull the trigger.

I will probably get another fusion and hope that it works as taking medication does not help me enough and I do not want to be on meds everyday til the day I die. I need to find better meds or I really need the fusion to work and be a permanent solution. Ok I know fusion is not permanent but I would like to be pain free for at least 10 years until it fails or the level above or below it gives out.

• What is the reason for another fusion? If the fusion resolved your neck pain but brought on mostly mechanical pain as many times it does, What is the reason for further surgey to fuse another level?

I have the burning as you mention prety much in my whole body all the muscles on fire from my back surgery fusion, From legs to shoulders the stiffness thats caused by the stress from the fusion,

If surgery resolved your neck pain are you sure another fusion wont make things even worse then it is now?

You are on a lot of meds for the type of pain you describe after your fusion,

That burning in the muscles and shoulder mostly muscle relaxers might help but stretching when posible is the only thing that i find helpfull,

Why are they prescribing neurontin for you? Usualy neurontin is for nerve damage and nerve pain from what i know, Sorry i ment gabapetin which is prety much same as neurontin,

I have nerve damage along with the mechanical pain but i cant take the gabapetin for it makes me so tierd,

I could be wrong but it sounds as they got you on so many medications thats not normaly given for the condition you describe and its not helping you anyway because you developed a tolerance to it,

Some drs say all those meds after a while have a reverse affect on a person being so druged up body actualy responds to pain more so being on it,

I would talk to the dr about detox posibly even if it has to be in a hospital seting to reset the clock on your body,

Then if body is all detoxed from the meds then posibly try the meds all over again at low dose and find what 1 actualy helps, Even if you needed another surgery doing this is a positive thing because the standard pain pills would help after surgery,

Some of the best drs will do this before they treat a parient to know what there over all pain is without the drugs,

I take the norco mostly for years now as i refuse some of the more powerfull meds i was offered because i know in time i would also have to have a way to detox when it stops helping,

You never going to totaly get rid of all the pain but i think its always a safe bet to stay on the lowest dose posible knowing we are long term chronic pain sufferers and in our situation its realy not that we are addicted, We were forced on these medications and our body simply has a limit when we increase through out the years to control our pain,

Not sure if this helps any but might be worth a thought, Might be worth asking your dr about it and what he thinks,

Best of luck and keep us informed how things go,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • a fusion is not done for pain relief its done for stabilisation of the spine .and if any pain relief happens as a result then that's a bonus ...that's what my consultant told me {and he is one of the uk's best} ..
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014