Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

afraid to do stretches with sciatica?

hwrck1hhwrck1 Posts: 2
Hello I had a herniated disc L5, healed with physical therapy. At the moment, I am pain free but having pins and needles in my foot. I have recently started hamstring stretches to relieve this, but the stretches seem to make the pins and needles worse. Any advice? Should I stop doing the stretches? I don't want to aggrevate anything. Thanks a lot

• Your question is a medical question we cant advise on, Your dr or your pt personal should consult with your dr on what activity you can continue,

If it was me i would let things heal longer and avoid activity that agrivates the condition,
    Sometimes we have to use a our own wisdom and avoid what could cause more harm then good,

Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Get a decompression belt with a pulley....

slowly decompress yourself....

a little bit at a time....

the other option is to but a board with an inclination on it,

lie down on your back and stretch your back,

the key is to decompress the spinal cord gently,

the safest exercise for spinal,decompression is to do deep breathing to the abdominal area,

send air to the belly and push it downward to stretch your lower back,

Live to Pray
  • Would the Mackenzie stretch work?
  • I am going through something similar. It has only been 4 wks since my herniated disc @ L4/L5, but doing the exercises recommended by PT just makes me so nervous. I always end up in more pain afterward. They advised me that the pain would go away over time, but it still worries me. I worry that it is worsening the condition but also that I'll be in pain!I have been pushing back a little bit and not going as far as they want me to, right now. I stop at ANY sensation of tugging or discomfort. In my PT's defense, though, they want me to be doing these things in the water rather than on land, but the pool has been booked for the last couple of weeks, making that impossible for now. I am being told that the water will make a world of a difference.

I have numbness in my lower left leg and foot, as well. I can tell you that the stretches that work my hamstrings and piriformis areas make my numbness a lot worse. My numbness seems "complete," if that makes sense. I never feel tingling or pins and needs. However, when I do the exercises, it feels like my foot swells huge, but, when I look at it, it is normal. Very odd sensation for sure!