Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Side effects of oral prednisone

dee213ddee213 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Management
Hi All,

I'm new here and I have a question about prednisone. I've been taking the medrol pack for 2 days. At first I had no side effects except for a little heartburn. But yesterday I began sweating and getting really bad acid reflux and nausea, that kept me up half the night.

I'm on 20mg 3 x a day for the first 3 days, then 2 a day for 3 days and 1 a day for 3 days. Does anyone know how soon I should feel better from this treatment. I feel a slight difference but not much. I'm also taking Flexeril 3 times a day and I alternate 2 650mg of tylenol and 4-800 mg of ibuprofen. So I'm not sure what is giving me the best results.

I want to stop the prednisone because I hate the side effects, but I don't know if I should without giving it a chance. I'm putting a call into my doctor today.

I have spinal stenosis, arthritis of the spine and degenerative disc disease. My sciatic pain is a constant 6 and when I stand or walk a few steps it shoots up to an 8 or 9.

Thanks all, any advice would be appreciated.

• Many who take many medications have to make sure its with food and sometimes to avoid dealing with acid reflux you can take either over the counter pills for acid or have your dr call in nexium or whatever 1 he prefers to prescribe,

I always have nexium from my dr along with meds as they know meds can cause issues with acid, I dont have acid reflux that often but when i do it helps,

If i could only give up the chicago combo beef and sausage with hot and sweet pepers i might have less issues,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • It took me a full 2 weeks at 40mg of Prednisone before I started feeling better. I had started at 20mg and was getting worse so the doc increased the dose to 40mg. Within the past 3 days there has been a significant difference. My doc said that it may just take more time at this dosage for things to cool down. I was getting desperate last week and was thinking about Remicade but for now I am going to stick with the pred. I start to taper the dose on Monday. With my first flare 7 years ago I started at 60mg and within days I was significantly better. However the side effects of the pred were so bad (gained 20lbs in 2 weeks, moon face, hot flashes, fatigue, racing heartbeat) that we decided to go with 40mg this time. Also, the area is much more limited to the rectum this time rather than the entire colon.

Hang in there and keep in touch with your doctor about how you are feeling. You may feel a turn soon.

trx kit