Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't know what to do...

dee213ddee213 Posts: 5
I'm a newbie here and I'm in the middle of a flare of sciatica, for about 2 weeks now. My pain at the moment is not too bad, about a 4. When I walk a few steps it increases anywhere from a 6 to a 9. I took 800mg of ibuprofen about an hour ago, so I guess that's helping. But, I'm noticing new numbness in my leg and foot.

My problem is this: I've been babysitting my 2 grandchildren ages 3 (a boy) and 4 (a girl) 3 days a week since March. My daughter is going to school to get a cosmetology degree and I'm the only one who can babysit because I'm not working. I couldn't babysit last week because of the pain. I normally go to her apartment which is a half hour away, but yesterday I had her bring the kids to me. The drive would be difficult, plus she lives on the second floor and I don't know if I can climb that many stairs.

When the grandkids were here it was really hard. They fight alot and get demanding. They're young and used to me doing for them and playing with them and being a cheerful "nana". I really had a hard time getting them to listen to me and lost my temper a few times. It's so hard to be patient when you're having chronic pain.

But, if I don't babysit the kids my daughter will have to drop out or postpone her schooling. She's getting financial aid and I don't know what will happen with that. I really don't know what to do! I want to help my daughter and I'm proud of her, she's young and it's been hard with 2 little ones, but she's trying to improve her life for her and her family. But, am I jeopardizing my health with this? Also, I hate acting cranky around the grandkids, they are used to a cheerful and fun grandmother, and I don't know how it's affecting them.

Anyone out there have a similar problem? I would appreciate any advice you can give.

• I've had some sciatic nerve issues in my right leg for bout a year. On April 30th I didn't sleep at all and on Tuesday May 1st I went to see my doctor. I told him that my right side was killing me and that my right foot was numb and no feeling. He immediately got me a MRI scheduled for Wednesday and I saw a nuro surgeon on Thursday. I had surgery On Wednesday the 9th. He removed the disc between L3 L4 that had cut off the nerve. I was told that if it wasn't taken care of now that I could lose the use of my right leg and foot.
    Best thing for u to do is go see your doctor and go from there.
    Good Luck
  • I am in a similar predicament, myself. I'm a mom of 4 kids, ages 3, 4, 6, and 7. They want/need my attention ALL the time, and, since my injury in early April, they have been so stressed out. They misbehave MORE it seems when I so desperately need them to be good! I've missed several ball practices, and I can't go out in the front yard with them anymore since I can't chase them if they go too far or get into the street, know what I mean?

Have you had an MRI of your back? In my opinion, when you start having numbness, all bets are off. It could be something that, with just a simple twist of the waist, could cause you to lose bowel or bladder function. You really should see a physician.

I hate to tell you to get pain meds, because that may give you relief but may decrease your ability to effectively supervise your very-busy grandchildren. I can only take my pain meds when my husband is around.

I think you should talk with your physician about your options, though. You probably aren't being the nana you really want to be when you're in all of this pain! Wishing you the best!
  • I know exactly what you mean about the kids acting up and not being able to take them outside! It seems like they have radar which tells them they can get away with more because I'm not at my best. Then they get out of hand.

I've read on this forum and other sites that numbness is a part of all this, so I wasn't really concerned. I just figured it's normal. I'm in a spot because I don't have insurance, having lost my job due to my absences from sciatica. So, I haven't had an mri. I had a ct scan about a year ago and it didn't show any herniated discs. It showed arthritis of the spine, and spinal stenosis. I've also been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease.

I saw my doctor last week and at the time I wasn't having numbness. But I was having tingling in my leg and told her that. She didn't seem concerned with that so I wasn't. Also I had no reflexes in my left leg. Again, she didn't react to that and now I wish I asked her about it. Do you know if the reflex thing is usual with this?

Thank you for your support, Dee
  • When I would go to the doctor or PT, they told me that the tingling and numbness is the last thing to get better. The pain is what is bad. I don't agree because my heal and back of my upper leg is always having a numb feeling I can still feel when I touch it but not very well. I have had injections and they work so great that the only thing I feel is the constant numbess but the injections slowly wear off starting at 6 weeks. I'm just afraid of perm. nerve damage.