Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I hate my pain meds. Do I really have to take that many???

mishauniquemmishaunique Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Management
I had my 2nd surgery for lumbar microdiscectomy a little over a week ago. My Dr. prescribed Valium and Percocet. I hate how it makes me feel and they want me to take 2 of each every 4-6 hours. Isn't that a bit much? Yes, I am in pain, but I am afraid of getting addicted. Is that stupid of me? I am also in a major depression this time. The first surgery in March was okay. No problems there. Same meds, but I wonder if I am having a bad reaction this time. I'll admit-NO- I do not take what they prescribed because it makes me feel funny and over emotional. I just take one of each every 6 hours or so. Is this okay? Will I still heal up normally as long as I follow the list of restrictions I am on? Please- I need help on this. Thank you.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    med then RX'd would always be preferred if possible.

Is your pain level OK with that regimen? CHeck with your doctor but I couldn't imagine that your actual healing would be effected by taking less with maybe the potential/exception of the valium .... but again that IS a doctor question.

It maybe adding to the "emotional" factor if your "under medicated" and in more pain than you think??

Again .... need to run it by your doc or his/her office.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I am not sure what to do. I call the Dr. and I just get the nurse saying he'll call me back. I really don't like them. They make my head feel funny.
  • I had that same problem. I was put on a medication that made me feel just awful. It was a heart medication.
    I told my Doctor how bad it made me feel he told me to just stop taking it.

Do talk it over with your Doctor.
    Good luck.
    Patsy W
  • If you notice on the prescription bottle will usualy say take every 4 to 6 hours or as needed, If you dont need as many as prescription alows thats ok,

No dr is going to have a problem with any patient who takes less pain meds,

This is why most drs want a person off pain medications as early as posible after surgery because being off it actualy helps healing, if you have no major pain issues you can simply have dr even prescribe something much diferent and not as strong or simply reduce the intake if needed,

Pain medication for pain is not same as if person has to take it like if its high blood pressure medication and such,

If you think any of the drugs is the cause of your depression ask your dr about it,

2 valium and 2 pain pils might be much every 4 hours after micro d surgery i would think, I would of thought it would be more like posibly 1 of each every 4 to 6 hours,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
    dude ... the man has wisdom.

Funny word Wisdom .... break it down ..... Wise - Dumb? ... a conflict indeed .... not in this case IMHO.

"I call the Dr. and I just get the nurse saying he'll call me back. I really don't like them. They make my head feel funny."

The Doc & Nurse make your head feel funny?? or the meds (Ha ha)?? Feel better please!
    Spine-health Moderator

• Thank you all for the comments. I get my staples out on Thurs. I will definitely ask then.

No, the docs and nurses don't make me feel funny. Lol!

They are very good. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to most meds., so these are my choices. Blech!

Med allergies .... not good ... proceed with caution and make sure your healthcare providers always know.

Spine-health Moderator

• OP,

your feelings towards adjusting to the valium and percocet are perfectly normal and in fact it would be quite odd if you did not have these responses.

I would suggest taking 1 instead of 2 and stop taking the valium at the same time as the percocet. Try spacing out the dosing so you are taking either percocet or valium not both at the same time and try and put 2 hours between either medication.

Good luck, these are excellent medications you just need to slowly adapt to the side effects.
  • I never thought about NOT taking them at the same time. Thank you so much! I am definitely going to try that. Then perhaps I'll not only feel better also function way better.

• Some people think taking medication is an easy option when it is not, those collective side effects are difficult to live with on a constant basis and it is that balance between coverage and acceptable side effects for you that matters.

Taking less medication is the notion of getting better, I have been to the top of the volume that I accept for myself and although no medication will totally relieve the pain, those unique side effect symptoms impact to such an extent that we feel the need to reduce them. If you had no pain then our medication would not be required, so addiction is not an issue, medication is only one tool at our disposal, Melzack and Wall suggest that the success of a strategy is the “collective aspects working together” that has the best success rate, finding what works for you as an individual is key.

Keep an open mind and use what you need, get support from SH, stay positive, set small attainable goals, and pace under the pain, good luck it is hard, many here have been where you are and continue to live a life of chronic pain.

Take care. John.