Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Syrinx Mind bending, and numb fingers

Hi my name is not important, I am 30 year old carpentor. And a little over a year ago I was over worked building curtain walls, and it cause several perturbing disks, and a syrinx. I weigh 140 pounds, and i was being made to lift 160 lbs up to forty times a day. It goes from the level at the bottom of my shoulder blades up to the neck. I have been in constant every day pain since then. I have had to get a lawyer, because the job basically fired me and denied responsibility. I can not work like this. I am a honest hard working carpenter. And I have been reduced to a out of shape, recluse who can barley do anything anymore. The only medicine my primary doctors have giving me so far is Tramadol, and some bullshit back cream. I have now started seeing a surgeon and he gives me Gapapentin, and Loratab. The Gabapentin helps with the elbow and shoulders, and hand pain. At first my surgeon acted as it I had nothing to worry about, that it did happen at work, and the srynix was caused by the injury. Also that it was not from a tether or any thing from birth. He said he will probably be able to figure out a way to help surgically. Then he sent me for new MRI's with contrast. And I ended up seeing him early because I got the MRI done quick. Now he says he wants to just continue with the medication, and see me every three months to see if it grows.The medication is not doing much. The Loratab is way to weak to be effective. I believe even though the Gabapentin help some pain. It seems to enhance my lower back, and leg pain. I don't know what to do, because there is no way I can work let alone live like this much longer. I'm am slowly becoming mentally ill from this pain, and the end is looking closer, and closer. He says he would have to drain it if it gets larger. Why can't he drain it now sense there are no defects to keep causing it? Should I demand stronger pain killers? I am already starting to self medicate since my first doctors would never send me to pain management. It is the only way I can tolerate it. The pain is so bad it takes two 8 mg Suboxone at a time to make it tolerable.

• Hi,

It might be hard or messy but I would be looking for another Dr., or at the very least another opinion. You need someone to help you, not leave you in limbo. Have you flat out told your present Dr. that the pain drugs he has you on are not working, at all? It is really bad to self medicate and could end up causing you more problems then you know. Have you gone to a ER type place when your really bad? The ER place would send a report to your Dr so he would get the idea that what he was giving you wasn't working.
  • Tell your doctor the medication is not working and if you can try something more effective for break-through pain. If he is a good doctor he will also try to remedy the pain.
  • I was diagnosed with a post traumatic syrinx as well, it's from T8 to T6, my shoulder blades constantly burn and the skin has become numb to the touch as well. I've been given a whole list of meds but nothing really helps. I have also seen a surgeon and been told its not big enough to drain and that we just need to keep an eye on it as its not going to go away but could potentially become a problem down the line. I am going in for a L5-S1 AILF at the end of the month and I have other "minor" issues as well, so i totally inderstand your pain and frustration. I did have an epidural injection into that area and that has helped a bit.

Apparently this is one of those things that they're isn't much info on, especially when you're so young (I'm 33).

Good luck!