Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Day Post-Op Why

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Why did I over do it today? Everything with my double ACDF went well. I have been taking it easy, walking as instructed, and feeling great. Today I decided I would do some work around the house a bit more than I knew I should. My neck is not hurting, my shoulders are killing me. Maybe because they have not been used for a while? They may have fixed my neck, but they did nothing about my being hard-headed!

• I did the same. 1 week post fusion I went to have my dressing changed, went to PT and then went for a little shopping trip! So stupid, I ended up back in bed for two days!

• 6 weeks post ALIF i was still housebound and like a zombie unable to move ! you went shopping 1 week post PLIF i was still in hospital one week post op !! it takes it out of me now 5 months on doing anyhting
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Im with you Tony on this one.

One week in after my 2 level ACDF I was still homebound and recliner bound. I took my first real shower after 9 days, yikes!

Im now 3 weeks in and can shower again :). I dont leave the house that much, if any. I hate being in the car, and still spend most of my days in the recliner. Sleeping in it is a must. Doctor asked if Im ready to taper off the heavy stuff, but no way. Not until Im comfortable enough to go the day without it.

Nel, I didnt know you could do PT so quickly after surgery? Or was PT perhaps for a different issue?
    Im in Aspen collar 24-7 for 8 weeks, maybe the possibility of PT after that, but until 8 weeks post op, neck fixated and no movement of it, doctors order.
    Well, different surgeons, different techniques and different pathways to healing.

We all heal so very differently and at different rates. I do envy all you "one - two weekers", but so happy for you and the pace you all recover at! We have all endured a lot of pain before our surgeries and we deserve to get back to living life again, as soon as possible. I have a looooong "to-do" list after my 5 years on the back burner.

Tony, I wish you strength!
    Hold your head up - as each day pass and you honoring your body by listening to it, you are one day closer.

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • I have to say that part of me wishes I had never taken that shopping trip. I can't say for certain that it had anything to do with the infection that developed in my incision three days later but who knows! On the other hand once my wound started leaking I was banned from all exercise, PT etc until it stopped leaking 4 weeks later, and, tbh, it leaked so much I couldn't be bothered getting dressed to to go out anyway! So maybe it was my last glimpse of the world for a while!

My surgeon was useless at giving me any instructions - maybe PT that early was not a good idea!
  • Yesterday was my two week follow up. Dr said everything looked good. In one week I'll Have an xray. Dr said, if all looks well, I will be able to take off the brace and start driving.
  • At my two week post op after two level ACDF my doctor said I could drive. It scared me, and made my pain and muscle spasms worse. I hope your driving is more sussessful.

I'm weaning myself off of the Vicodin and on to Tylenol.

The worse thing for me is not bending or lifting. I'm just not good at sitting, but I'm trying! Slowly weaning myself off the collar as well. I only have to wear it while walking and in the car.

I'm still sleeping in the recliner with my collar on... I forgot to ask about changing my sleeping arrangements, and I don't go back to the doctor for another month.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Returning to full work duty 12 days after my 2 level ACDF.

My surgeons office gave me a rubber stamped OK to return to work slip .... because I asked for it.

The office staff (nor I) really ever talked to the doctor .... I just had to let my A type personality shine through.

So I guess I wasn't surprised when the surgery failed and I had to get the whole thing done again 360+another level+an 8 day hopital stay and life long residual effects.

Bottom line ... learn the meaning of the word convalesce - mucho importanto!!

Sending rest vibes your way,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Had x-ray this past Friday, see Dr this coming Thursday. There is a night and day difference in how my neck feels from before and after surgery. I never thought I would get this much relief. I quit trying to do too much, but kept on walking and increasing the distance over time. Yesterday I did not need anything for pain including OTC. So far so good!
  • I'm with Vic and Metalneck. Given OK to drive at 2 weeks, but couldn't do it. Just managing the bare necessities of dailylife and it's exhausting. Trying to balance out my need to do something with my need to let my body heal. If I don't,, the pain and muscle tightness reminds me. We all heal so differently.
  • Seen Dr last Thursday. Not sure if I'll go back to work now or when Dr gives me a release to do full duty. HR department said they will talk to my department manager to see if they can allow me to come back knowing that i will not be able to lift anything over 10lbs. The Dr said he will give me full release in middle of August. Go to start driving and have had no problems with it. I'm looking forward to doing more activities in the future.
  • edited 06/18/2012 - 1:04 AM
    For me, it is being able to sit up for a little while a few times a day. This morning was a small victory b/c I didn't struggle to get out of bed. I really thought the 3 weeks out of work was a little bit much since I work at home from a computer, but now I understand it. Never ever dreamed I'd ever need or take so much pain meds, and I've had big surgeries before. Have certainly learned we all heal differently and have different needs while we are healing! Night shirts are wonderful (nothing around my waist). The more pillows I use the better. Delighted that I could sleep in my favorite position - on my right side - now tired of not being able to stand to lay on my back, but still very thankful that considering, I'm sleeping pretty good. And healing must make me tired because I nap a LOT! And then still want to go to bed early. I feel guilty for doing nothing around the house, yet proud b/c so far I've done well following doctor's orders, thinking as I feel better that will get harder. Really thought I needed a walker the first few days, ended up using my dad's cane (which was just something I wanted to keep when he passed, now I know why!). Things that I thought I might need, I mostly got by without, no toilet seat riser - but my guest bath on the main floor is small and having the pedestal sink right beside the toilet has been a great support for me to get up and down. Lack of appetite I didn't expect. But the most pleasant surprise - NO SCIATICA in my legs and feet!
    I am who I am!
  • bchgdjbbchgdj Posts: 1
    edited 06/27/2012 - 1:50 AM
    Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team