Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new so introduction and a couple of questions

SwedishFishSSwedishFish Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm new to the forums and haven't posted before. I'm in a couple of other online forums but this one seems far more comprehensive. My biggest issue at the moment is with my cervical spine, although I have issues with my lumbar too but holding off on that until the neck is dealt with for now.

I have straightening of the lordosis, osteophytes, foraminal narrowing (mild to moderate), 3 bulging discs - in a nutshell. I've done PT, meds, bilateral foraminal injections and a cervical cortisone epidural with no results thus far. Most of my symptoms are in my arms down to my fingers, although my neck is sore.

One neurosurgeon has recommended that if the conservative measures don't work, that he would do an anterior fusion from C4-7. I saw a 2nd opinion neurosurgeon who I actually like better who recommends posterior laminectomies at 5, 6, 7 (and something else at 7 but can't remember) with plastic sort of spacers (he learned to do this procedure during his internship/residency at the Mayo Clinic and did at least a thousand of them there) - no fusion. He has sent me to have a nerve test first but he's assuming that the results will be negative.

I guess what I don't know is how MUCH information to post. I don't know what all to include in my signature. And my real question at this point is about the posterior approach and if anyone else has had that sort of surgery as I'm very seriously considering it at this point. I've read a lot and can't seem to come up with the "plastic spacer" part of the laminectomy information either so hoping someone else might have had this done.

Thanks for any help/direction!

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot answer your questios or give you any information as i am not famaliar with your problems but i did want to say hello..i am sorry you are suffering with pain!!please have a look around the forum and make yourself at home.. stop by anytime! i am sure some spineys will drop by with some answers.. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thanks, Jenny. I appreciate the welcome. Guess I'll stumble around and hopefully eventually I will find the right board for my question on the surgery!
  • I used to be a lurker here for a long time, and then decided to join! Nothing but love in this place and so many great human beings here who have walked or is walking your shoes. Maybe not your exact ones, but you know what I mean.

You can find tons of information here, as well as a lot of support.
    Dive in heads on, we'll catch you :).

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • edited by tam, spam
  • edited by Tam, spam.
  • Thanks, Vic - the welcome is much appreciated! I did post a more specific post in the cervical surgery forum regarding my specific question. And yea, I can't believe how many people I've met who are dealing with so many of these same issues! Nice to *talk* to people who get it.

Carmen :)
  • Sorry - not sure why that message originally posted 2x.