Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF surgery scheduled for July 2

martha50mmartha50 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Will I be able to sleep in my bed with a collar on or is a recliner better? I have a zero gravity recliner that is wonderful for my lower back fusion -it is downstairs so I think I need a recliner upstairs-suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• Sometimes you can sleep in your bad if you get the pillows right. Others have swore by the use of their recliner. I myself didn't have a recliner at the time and ended up using the couch with some pillows to allow me to sleep in a kind of upright position. Now if you have lower back issues, you might find it easier to keep your lower back from getting to bad from trying to find a more comfortable position. Can you have the recliner from downstairs moved upstairs while you are in the collar? Unfortunately it is all going to depend on how you feel post surgery. Some have no issues and feel much better, some really need rest and time to recover.
  • Thanks-we thought about moving the reliner up -but decided to take advantage of a Memorial Day sale-I know I will feel good after the surgery but I am a slow recoverer
    - I already have six or seven pillows in bed-just hope this will take care of all my problems!
  • I had ACDF C5/6 and I slept in the recliner for about a week. It was very difficult getting up and down out of the bed for me. I did not have a collar.
  • Thanks-we thought about moving the reliner up -but decided to take advantage of a Memorial Day sale-I know I will feel good after the surgery but I am a slow recoverer
    - I already have six or seven pillows in bed-just hope this will take care of all my problems!
  • And how long has it been since the fusion?
  • It's been 5 months since the surgery. I was doing great until I got rear-ended by an 18 wheeler recently and now I'm having issues.

The hardest part for me after surgery was sleeping. I couldn't get comfortable. Then I would wake up with night sweats.

There is also a Facebook group for ACDF.
  • I had single level ACDF Feb 10th, 2012. I slept in a recliner the first 8 days. I had no collar. I just didn't feel "safe" sleeping in bed and turning from side to side. I slept in my bed the 9th night and returned to work the next morning. Rest is important, so do whatever helps you get the most rest. I slept great in the recliner.
  • I'm so glad I found this forum-back to work on day 9? Wow!
  • I'm so glad I found this forum-back to work on day 9? Wow!
  • kabema3kkabema3 Posts: 6
    edited 06/24/2012 - 7:39 AM
    I haven't slept in the recliner at all, but have been sitting in it during the day as it seems to have good support for my neck. Spinal surgeon told me to only wear soft collar for comfort if I needed it. Just found it annoying. Have been sleeping OK, including on both sides, but am waking up every couple of hours from being stiff post-procedure.
  • Martha - I hope you're doing ok!

Kabema- it's great you are progressing well.

I was glad I could sleep on one side or the other soon after surgery with some pillows shoved behind my back for support.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • karenkkkarenk Posts: 66
    edited 06/24/2012 - 11:51 PM
    Where?
    ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
  • i had acdf c4 c-5 on may 13th , in hospital one night slept in bed first two nights at home propped up. Normal laying position in bed by 3rd night. Just had 6 week post op follow up. Already 50% fused. Going back to work tomorrow, been cleared to resume golfing, running. I know there are a lot of horror stories on here, just wanted to share a good one for everyone. Cheers
  • I had a two level ACDF on May 10. Last night is the first night I made it through the night in my bed. I've been in the recliner... I think we all have to choose whatever works for us.
  • YAY on 50% fusion! Would love to hear if you have started running again -- I know I would love to run again after this is all said and done, although it might feel weird (probably more emotionally than physically) the first time? I'm 4-weeks post-op ACDF c6-c7 and will be 8 weeks post for my next appointment.

• hey Kabema,
    Yeah I started running, a little weird at first, mentally, not physically. Just had to get it through my head that I was fine. Also back to playing baseball etc. No problems what so ever. Anyone in recovery, get as much as sun as you can, Vitamin D is good for fusion. I even took Vitamin D supplements as well. I really think it helped. Cheers.
  • One last thing, can't stress enough to get out and walk walk walk, asap after surgery.
advertisement