Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain gone before scheduled surgery

ellroy2eellroy2 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled to have a discetomy in 3 days on my L4/L5 disc. This disc gave me trouble initially two years ago which resulted in severe left leg pain that lasted for months. I had some relief for a short couple of months last summer and then I got severe right leg pain that I have been dealing with ever since last August. So I have pretty much had pain in one leg or the other plus back pain/stiffness for the last 2 years.

I recently had a follow up MRI to one that was done back in August that showed that the central based bulge was still there despite my leg pain being 70% better or so. Since I was still dealing with that last little bit of leg pain that would shoot down my leg at times throughout the that didn't seem to be going anywhere, I decided to finally try the surgery. Within the last 3 days or so however, I have noticed that the pain in both legs has gone from an annoyance/slighty debilitating to almost non existent. In fact today I can say that I have not even noticed pain at all. None of the normal movements or activites that would cause it to give me a little jolt have produced anything. I still have some general back soreness and stiffness when I lean or bend forward.

I have been trying to get this surgery scheduled for the last month, and now I don't know what to do. I don't know if this is something that I should contact my surgeon about so close to surgery day. On one end, I am now worried that having the surgery may cause the pain to come back or make it worse. It really can't make it better than what it has been for the last couple of days. When the surgeon was looking at my most recent MRI, I asked him how it could be that the disc bulge was still just as big but my leg pain was much better. He said that the nerves can adjust. So I am worried that if my nerves are now completley adjusted to living with less space, then the surgery might somehow disrupt them again. But then on the other hand, I don't want to give the surgery up and then regret it next week as soon as I feel some leg pain again. If the bulge is still there and my spinal canal is still tight for space, then wouldn't it just be a matter of time before the leg pain flares up again?

I don't want to postpone the surgery. For me, it is either now or never. So I guess my question is whether or not surgery could actually worsen my case at this point, or would it be smart to just go ahead and get that area cleaned out so that I don't have to keep worrying about the slightest little thing setting the leg pain off again?
advertisement

Comments