Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My fusion helped but still hurting.

BpainFree39BBpainFree39 Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Chronic Pain
Monday was my first day back to work after my fusion, and having a full day of moving around and sitting, I have noticed more issues above where the surgery was performed. Prior to the surgery I just could tell my back was hurting and the nerve pain, burning, stabbing, and aching, etc. made an overall picture. The surgery has gotten rid of the nerve pain, and I am 100% sure of that. What I feel now is closer to the surface of my spine at T12 / L1 Levels. When I push on it I can feel where the pain is, and I think it is more arthritic, and it is centered in the joints. It is coming from my Thoracolumbar junction (TLJ)area and is above where my Dr.worked.

Previously all of the injections I had were performed at my L4 / L5 area, and in the nerves and joints around and below that area. I have become very aware of this because the nerve pain is gone now, and this feels like was always present but only now I can really feel it, with the nerve pain gone.

A good way to describe it is if my back pain is 100 % in total, the work they did removed 60-75% of the overall pain. I am very aware now of the 25-40% of the pain remaining.

So, I am better, but still not out of the woods. By 2-3 PM from normal movements at work I start to really hurt. After work I must go home and ice it, and not move.

After researching this I found usually people with the disc pain I had is coupled with other issues in the joints above the site with the disc problems. So it’s on to treat the joints now.

I am going to schedule more injections for the facet joints in my thoracolumbar junction(TLJ)region and hope that helps, and I will continue to take medications until I am pain free.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about this - Thanks,
Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
(PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)

• too early you will regret it .....it took me 6 weeks before i could move from my recliner after ALIF {29 dec 2011] my advice be very careful you will be no where near healed inside .
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Going back to work made me hurt sooo much more! I went back 11 weeks post op and I had a marvelous window of barely any pain about 5-6 months out.

I have since developped problems with my facets at the next level up just as you say!

My surgeon just never wanted to listen to me when I said I had pain, if yours is listening and will do the injections then take full advantage of it. It has taken me 2 years to get to the answer!

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.