Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain after two discectomies

jrs101301jjrs101301 Posts: 2
i am new to this board so bear with me as i tell my story. I was injured on a construction site last august. i was diagnosed with a herniated disc at l4-5 and i had crazy leg and foot pain. I had an open discectomy on 3-1-12. about a week later i had leg and foot pain again and it progressed until i went in for an emergency revision on 5-1-12. i went for my follow up appointment at 2 and a half weeks and it is a 3 hour drive each way...on my way back from visit i started getting crazy sciatic pain that felt like before surgery. i assumed i simply irritated it and it got a little better after a few days..but still wassnt right like the first two weeks after surgery. I stated physical therapy last week and when i do the hamstring stretches it hurts my butt and leg like crazy..yesterday i was on heating pad all day and today is even worse. i dont know what to do. is it possible to have reherniated it again so quickly after my revision surgery? has anyone heard of having reherniated it twice and will my work comp pay for another revision if thats the case..i just dont understand how a six hour drive in one day could reherniate my back...and why is it so easy to re-injure it? please advise cuz im so frustrated and worried and in so much pain again im going out of my mind...i am only 39 years old.
advertisement

Comments

• Simply sneezing or bending to tie your shoes can herniate a disc. Usually once a disc has been repaired via discectomy it is very easy to reherniate, especially early on in the healing process. It is generally after this happens that many surgeons recommend removal of the disc and fusion should it happen again.

Have you contacted your surgeon to let him know how you are feeling?

Don't know anything about workman's comp, but I'm sure someone will be along with that information soon.

Sorry you are in such pain.

"C"
  • I'vr read on this forum that sitting puts a lot of pressure on the lower back discs. Dico's work for some people and some they don't. It appears that you may be in the later group but your Dr. needs to be made aware of your issues especially since you re-herniated so sone after the first disco. You have to be really, really careful after any type of back surgery. I would guess that your construction work days may be coming to a end. You need to protect your back going forward, at least the way I understand it. Just about all of us have had to give up, or change what we were doing for work.

I can not answer anything about workman comp. You will need to talk to your case manager or lawyer to get answers for that.

Good luck on getting to the bottom of your back problems and getting rid of your pain.
  • thank you for your replies. i did talk to my doctor and he is trying to get another epidural injection approved. hopefully that relieves some of this insane pain.
  • I just had a laminotomy and discectomy last Tuesday and am having similar issues. I felt great the day of and day after surgery. But I came home and I've been in intolerable pain. It's the pain in my left leg/buttock and it's at least 5 times worse than before surgery! I don't know what I could've done. I read these stories about how people feel relief immediately after and I'm wondering if my surgery wasn't a succes or I've reherniated it already!
    Lauren Davidson
advertisement