Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Upper back pain between shoulder blades

yuriyp25yyuriyp25 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey my name is Yuriy and I'am currently 21 and fit.I have had upper back pain for 2 and a half years since the accident when I pulled my upper back muscle. When I pulled my muscle in the back I could not move my neck and my back hurt really bad for 2 months. Then it started feeling better so I started lifting and running again but whenever I ran for more than a mile I started to have a tingling pain on the left side of my back between the shoulder blades. I thought that this was normal and I continued to workout with this feeling for the the whole year. In the winter of 2011 I had the worst pain of my ife. I couldnt move my neck without pain and had constant pain between my shoulder blades. Every day I would come from school and lay on a ice pack on a bed all day that whole winter. In april of 2012 I could not take the pain no more and went to a local chiropractor office. The docter gave me an xray and he said that I had spine misalignment in c6-t3 and c1-c2 sections. So than he gave me a alignments for that month and I started feeling better. I could start to move my neck again without pain but my neck is still uncomfortable and I have stabbing pain between my shoulder blades on the left side. I also started doing yoga and been doing it for a month now Iam flexible and go to the gym everyday to stretch and do a little bit of abs but the pain between the shoulder blades just wont go away. Iam getting different types of pain each day like sometimes I would have pain right where the spine is and sometimes I have really tight muscles by the spine and neck. Also I want to a massage therapist and he says that my ribs on the left are not in place. I have been getting better very very slowly and some days feel worse than others. I was wondering if any body else had this kind of problem and was wondering how long it would take to heal? Also if there is any advice on what I should do and not do. and if I should go see any one else for this problem? Also through this pain I used to have tigling on my left side in my fingers. Could I have a herniated disc? Other things I have is whenever I breath deeply I get a cracking noise in thoracic back and whenever I rotate my shoulders fully I constantly get a cracking noise. I cannot run without pain and cannot pick up anything. I also have been using a foam roller and whenever I roll on it m back cracks. I am not sure if Cracking my back everyday is good for it? I have been reading alot online and this is my first time posting anything on any forum for my pain. Any advice would help. Thanks.

• Yuriy -
    Do you have a good general physician? One who would refer you to a pain management physician? They have a whole array of tests and tools they use to figure out what is causing your pain.

In my humble and non-physician opinion, it sounds like you might have an irritated spinal accessory nerve or two. The nerve starts high in the neck, routes up and through the skull, then back down in to the neck and terminates in the shoulders.

A doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) could do some osteopathic manipulation to try and align your spine and help your body heal from this irritation or a good pain management physician might try nerve blocks or even simple trigger point or Botox injections.

I get the Botox injections from the base of my scalp onto the top of my shoulders to interrupt the signal my spinal accessory nerves are sending to my brain. the shots make the "en fuego" and neck range of motion pain much more manageable.

You are young to have crepitus (creaking and cracking) in your neck and upper thorax, and were it me, I wouldn't be cracking anything until I'd been evaluated and diagnosed.

I do hope you don't quit until you get some relief.
  • While the Chiropractor took xrays you can't see everything with them. An MRI should show if you have any disc issues that could be the cause of your pain. Based on the results you should get a referral to either pain management or a nuero surgeon. If it was going to heal on it's own it probably would have by now.
    Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide to do.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Yuiry,
    I agree with Dav, get an MRI. I would see a general physician get a recommendation for physical therapy, and request an MRI. See what the results are. Find a reputable physical therapists that will listen to your whole story. Start there and then move on to osteopaths and chiros. Many many docs will try to avoid MRI's since its pricey and often doesn't change the treatment but an MRI will show a disc bulge so you can either rule it out or start treating it. You are only 21 so you have time to get this thing back on track. You have to think in months and maybe even years though and be patient and positive. I have two lumbar disc bulges and a thoracic bulge and I have been rehabbing for 2 years but making progress. The thoracic bulge gives me similar symptoms that you have. But yours could be any number of things. From the looks of it Dav above has a lot of experience with this and will prob tell you slow and steady and lots of patience with the treatments.
This discussion has been closed.