Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Been a while - new not-so-good diagnosis today

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi my spiney friends.

It's been a while since I've been on to help others or post at all really, so I apologize. I'll be catching up on things today. But what pushes me to post at 4:15am when I'm on vacation (well, staying home, but not working nevertheless)?

It's my new diagnosis yesterday (imagine that, something keeping me from sleeping having to do with my spine). I've been having some severe pain in my lumbar the last few months and the last couple of weeks have been the worst. Luckily, I had an appt. with my surgeon scheduled for yesterday for x-rays to make sure my hardware is stable at L4/5, my fusion area, and that I was just having my usual mechanical pain flair-up.

So after x-rays, my doc brings in the laptop to show them to me and to both our surprises, there's nothing between L1/2, looks like bone-on-bone, and at L3/4 there's obvious spondylolisthesis. When he showed me the x-rays, I said "Oh my God, Ro--, that doesn't look good at all" and although he agreed, he wouldn't make any suggestions yet, what exercises I should do, etc. until after my MRI which I'll schedule today for ASAP. He needs to see how bad it is before he will or can make any recommendations.

The good news is that I don't have any nerve pain for now, so no surgery, but the pain is enough to be a real b-ll buster, if you know what I mean.

I've been on Norco for so long that I'm building a tolerance and he gave me a script for 5mg Percs, but they don't seem to do anything (the 10s make me vomit). I can't go up very much on the Norcos, so I'm kinda stuck pain med wise. I really don't want anything stronger than Percs and even those I'm having a hard time thinking of using on a regular basis.

Does anyone know if they start working more after you take them a while? They seem to do nothing at all. Or do you have any suggestions? I really don't want to go up to fentanyl or oxycontin, which my doc says is tying his hands. But I just don't want to go there.

So we decided that we'd just wait until after the MRI and see what we can do - injections, different meds, etc. But I don't see anything doing much good at this point, considering these two problems won't heal by themselves no matter what I do. I can strengthen my core to stablize the area more, but that's about it and even then, my surgeon doesn't want me doing exercises (except walking of course) until he sees the MRI.

Anyway, there's my sob story. Thanks for listening, I just had to get it off my chest and maybe someone will have some suggestions for medications or be able to share their experience with the same problem(s).

Thanks again, my friends...

• Cathie:

Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I've had a couple of discouraging ones this past year and it really messes with you mentally - ie. insomnia.

I left the hospital after my L4-S1 TLIF in January 2011 taking 10 mg of perc 4/day. After one month that dosage was reduced to 5 mg of perc 4/day. This pain control regimen was fine until October 2011 when I just could not stay ahead of the pain. My dosage was increased to 10 mg of perc, 1/2 or 1 pill every 6 hours. Now I am at a dosage of 10 mg of perc 1 pill every 6 hours. My glide path has been very slow but gradually upward.

If I take a whole tablet then I get some nausea and I can't function safely. So what I do is cut the 10 mg tablet in half and take one half tablet every 3 hours. In essence, it functions at the same concentration, but on a more continuous level. Perhaps you could discuss that regimen with your doctor. I do know from experience that the lortab would not touch the pain (learned that in the hospital prior to discharge) so we tried the percocet and it has functioned well.

While I've got your attention, have you ever heard of a pedicle subtraction osteotomy? That's what my surgeon is recommending, along with attending to a most probable pseudarthrosis. I am awaiting an appointment for a second opinion. All I know is that my Q of C has been on a downhill run and I am ready for intervention.

Enjoy your MRI today. Hopefully they will have a good music selection.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. It really does mess with your head, knowing so much crud is going on behind the scenes, but feeling so much pain.

I don't have kyphosis, so I doubt a pedicle subtraction osteotomy would be in my future, but I'm hoping it helps you, along with the pseudoarthrosis fix.

BTW, I'm only calling to schedule my MRI today, it likely won't be for a couple of weeks. We'll see. As always, it's a hurry up and wait situation.

• sorry to here about your bad news {maybe another fusion required} ??
    i hope not for your sake ..as for pain killers oxycontin are very good for pain relief BUT just like any other narcotic your body will build a tolerance to them very quickly but like your doc says ..what can he do ??i hope stuff can be sorted out for you
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • My hubby and I have a friend who got so addicted to oxycontin that he ended up going to retirement homes and buying patients' pills for $1.00 each. So we're both against my taking them. I know it ties my doctors hands, but we'll revisit the situation after my MRI.

My doctor won't do surgery unless there's nerve pain associated with either condition. That's good that he's not knife-happy and I don't want another surgery (duh). I'm so hoping we can take care of both situations non-invasively.

Problem is, neither problem will heal on its own and I'm afraid that the MRI will show things are worse than the x-ray, which is many times the case. Either way, it's a waiting game, waiting for the MRI and then waiting to see when and if any nerve pain appears.

It's very frustrating, as you know after all you've been through.

Thanks again, Tony.
  • Hi Cathie,

Sorry to read your news. I have no real experience with the meds you speak of as I have never been allowed anything more than tramadol (not that they ever touched the pain). So I can't help you there.

I hope you can escape without more surgery and that there is a med regime that will help with your pain.

Good luck.

• That's the unfortunate problem with having disc issues...we can get bulging or herniated discs at any level or have the discs dry completely out and end up with bone on bone.

Out of curiosity...did you ever smoke?

And theoretically....Oxycodone is stronger than Hydrocodone but it depends on how often and what strength you were taking of the Hydro each day.

And I'm quite confused on why you won't take Oxycontin because of an issue someone else has had with it? What does that have to do with you?

I mean...all that medicine is, is the exact same medication in the Percocet...Oxycodone...but in extended release...So it doesn't make any sense to not want to take a medicine out of fear of what some addict did with their life?

People who are addicted to drugs will crush and snort or inject the drug. They buy/sell them on the street. They do not have pain issues and they use the drug to get high.

That has nothing to do with people like us who have chronic pain. We take our medicine as directed....plain and simple...

A medicine cannot "get" you addicted. The person is the addict....

And in actuality...the short term medication can cause more "euphoria" or issues because you are chasing the pain every 4 hours.

So Oxycontin is just Oxycodone in extended release. Nothing to be afraid of.

On the subject of stomach issues...I ended up switching from Percocet to OxyIR which is the exact same thing...Oxycodone...but without the Acetaminophen. I was having nausea issues and it ended up being I was becoming intolerant to the Acetaminophen taking it at each dose.

So you can request to try OxyIR in the same 5 milligrams to see if that has less issues.

You are sacrificing getting appropriate pain relief by an irrational fear of medication based on knowing some guy who is a drug addict.

Long acting medications are the gold standard for chronic pain patients. Oxycontin, Opana, Fentanyl, Methadone, Nucynta, Butrans patch, MSContin are the ones from which to choose. Sure, they all "can" be abused by drug addicts....but again...that is not you nor I.

And then as you know....there are all the other things that are non narcotic that we need to keep doing each day/week/month to help with our pain.

Ice, heat, massage, acupuncture, injections, TENS unit, PT, aqua therapy, yoga/stretching, exercise, cortisone treatment, counseling, etc..

Do you also take a muscle relaxer to help? That's wonderful that you don't have any nerve pain or have nerve issues with loss of feeling to warrant surgery as that would be the main purpose to do that.

So it's really about working with your Dr. to manage the chronic pain to keep it at a 5 level. Mine is about a 5-7 depending on the activity.

Keep us posted...
  • First, Helen, thanks for you kind words. I'm sorry you can't take anything stronger than Tramadol, that's a pain med for low to moderate pain and doesn't touch some of us with more severe pain. I hope your pain is under control, at least somewhat.

Lovetotravel, you make a lot of sense. I know my fear of Oxy is probably unwarranted and irrational, but it does scare me because it's so potent with such a potential addiction risk. I think that when I discuss the MRI with my surgeon, we may have to consider it since there isn't much choice at the moment with regards to treatment, just trying to lower my pain levels (which has grown to a steady 7 in the last couple of months). I even suggested a Medrol pack because it's helped me in the past, but he said I might get 5 days of relief and it wouldn't be worth doing.

I'm taking 10/325 Norcos now (prescribed 6 a day) with Valium as a muscle relaxant. He prescribed 5/325 of the Percs, one every 4-6 hours, so maybe they just even out? My doc is worried about too much acetomenophen also, so doesn't want to up my dose of the hydros by much. I had actually gone from 5/500 to 10/325 just to lower my APAP dosage per day because of stomach issues. That was about 2.5 years ago.

Quote: "So Oxycontin is just Oxycodone in extended release. Nothing to be afraid of." I was unaware of this. I'm not familiar with the more potent pain medications because the hydros have been allowing me a life, but know I can't live and work with this new pain daily.

This is all so new to me with the medications that I really appreciate your opinions and advice. My doctor is giving me the choice of what medication I want to try - he understands the pain of what's happening. I mentioned a long-acting medication and he said it wouldn't take away the need for IR meds, so doesn't want to talk about it until after the MRI. I guess everything is hinging on that right now.

But again, we'll just stay the course until I can get my MRI results and discuss them with the doctor. Then I can revisit the medication issue and I'll keep in mind what you've said. It really helps.

Thanks again,
  • Just FYI....but you keep saying the more "potent" medications...

I think you aren't understanding what Oxycontin is clearly...

There is absolutely nothing different than the Percocet. As I said...they are both Oxycodone it's just without the Acetaminophen in the Oxycontin. It just releases more slowly in your system. Hence the name...Oxy for Oxycodone...Contin is for Continuous.

It's not "stronger" than Percocet. So let's say you take what...10mg or 20mg total of the Percocet per day? (in a 24 hour period?)

You would then take 10mg or 20mg of Oxycontin per day....It is absolutely exactly the same medication...not stronger milligram for milligram.

All it's doing is providing a better control of pain...

So for example...A 10mg Oxycontin...If you take this at 10am....It slowly releases the first 5mg in your system within the first 45 minutes or so...then by the 6 hour mark...it slowly releases the next 5mg......

So if you take a 10mg Percocet....It releases all 10mg of the medicine within that 45 minutes....then it clears all out by 4 hours...

That is why you have continually take the medicine every 4-6 hours...The pain control doesn't last...

So just speaking of Oxycontin...Your Dr. is probably wondering what is going on in that you are taking the Percocet but refusing the exact same medication with the Oxycontin....

Now...yes Fentanyl is a much stronger medication.

I switched from Oxycontin when the generic patent ran out. I am now on MSContin for my long acting medication....It is Morphine Sulfate Extended Release....It is a great medication for my long acting medicine. And then I take the OxyIR for any breakthrough pain.

But I had moved to the Oxycontin after having to take more than 4 of the Percocets per day. There was no reason to keep chasing the pain and having the ups/downs with the pain levels.

So we just switched from my total dosage of 4 10mg Percocets per day which was 40mg in a 24 hour period. To taking one 20mg Oxycontin in the am and one 20mg in the pm to provide the exact same dosage but much better pain relief.

Even if your MRI shows that you need possible surgery....I just don't see after all the surgeries you have had that you are going to suddenly be pain free and not need any pain medications. Now...if this happens...then that would be absolutely amazing and wonderful!!!

But realistically....you are a chronic pain patient and most everyone with CP is moved to a long acting medication and then a short acting one (Norco, Vicodin,Percocet,OxyIR,MSIR, etc). A short acting medication should only be needed once in awhile when the pain spikes.

Obviously you should and will talk all of this over with your Dr...As I said...I just hate to see you sacrifice better pain relief because of not understanding the medication...

Wishing you well!

• My doc was wondering why I was so particular with the medication. As you explain it (and I wish my doctor could be so articulate), I can see why the ER meds would be better with a breakthrough for the sudden onset inbetween. That's what my doc said yesterday, that as a CP patient, I'll never be pain-free and we need to work on keeping it at a reasonable level, which it isn't right now.

I think he'd like me to take the Oxycontin (or MScontin if no generic is available) with Norco for breakthrough (or something ele) to help this debilitating pain. Like I said, the Percs do nothing for me at all, so I'd like to not consider them. He only prescribed them yesterday because the ones in my cabinet are 2.5 years old and have probably lost their potency.

This was never an issue before but now I really need to rethink this after what you've explained to me. My doc is sure that surgery is not warranted yet as there's no nerve pain (like you said in your first post), so it's all about pain relief at this point with meds and possible injections, depending on what the MRI says.

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me. It's much clearer now and I understand more what my doctor was talking about yesterday.

I'll probably print out what you've explained to take to my post-MRI visit and talk to the doc about it.

BTW, do you have any idea how they're going to see the spondy on an MRI where I'm laying down? It really showed when I had the flexion x-ray, not so much when I was standing straight.

• Well that's a total bummer for you. At least you can still get out for your walks with Wally and enjoy the beautiful countryside. How is your employer taking your pain issues? Is he/she being somewhat understanding and helpful? Are you still trying to heft around all of those heavy boxes? Did your doc say whether or not the area that is bone on bone will eventually self fuse?

It's never much fun to get more news that is less than stellar. Just don't let it drive you. You know how much you are capable of, keep walking keep moving forward and keep yourself in the game.

Wishing you all the best.

• Well, yes I'm still lugging heavy boxes, but my coworkers have been very helpful, knowing my back issues. My boss and coworkers are not aware of my onset severe pain as I haven't been very busy, but they may hear a groan now and then.

I don't know if I'll need to discuss this with them until after the MRI, now scheduled for June 15. But my boss has already told me that she hired me for my brain, not my braun, so it may come to that. We'll have to see.

My doc didn't say much about the L1/2 because he wants to see the MRI to see how bad it is. It sure looks like there's nothing on the x-ray, but will hopefully have a clearer picture after the MRI.

I'm hanging in there and doing the best I can with the high pain levels. Next week, when I go back to work, should be fun...

Thanks, C.
  • Glad I could help some:) I hope that whatever you and your Dr. work out together will help you with your pain.

It sounds like you have a good, understanding, boss.

Usually Spondy is diagnosed by seeing it on an X-ray. They also can do a CT scan for further diagnostic. Then they will grade it based on how far the vertebra has slipped.

Close to 5% of the population has this but just like with DDD....some people have absolutely no symptoms whatsoever.

Same thing with issues on an MRI....Some people have terrible "looking" backs but no issues and then others have small issues with horrible pain.

It's just about working with your Dr. on what kind of pain you have and how to treat it.

It sounds like you have a good Dr. as well who wants to help you find the best plan to lessen your pain..

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It's really good to see you on the forum! But not under these circumstances. It seems that the CP spinney's just can't catch a break.
    I was so happy for you going back to work and having a life that was somewhat manageable. Actually quite envious! I'd settle for the somewhat manageable!
    I also ran my tolerance level up too far on the hydrocodone. My P.M.Dr. put me on oxycodone HCL 30 mg.x3 a day. Didn't work. So he went to 4x a day. didn't cover the pain either. So went to 40 mg.x 4 a day. And this makes me tired more than anything. It just isn't the ticket for me. where this dose is covering the pain.....For how long before that don't work either?
    I really didn't and still don't want to take this drug. The stigma, the bad press? I don't know. But I wish he would come up with something else.
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • So sorry for your new stuff.
    I wanted to tell you that I take tramadol. Have been for 4 years now. I take 100mg up to 4 x day, along with neurontin and cymbalta. This combination works some-what for me, and my pain management doctor has many patients on it. Tramadol is actually for moderate to severe pain (look it up on drugs.com). I have definitely built up a dependency to it and can't stop it suddenly, but it is the less destructive pain med for me. I also have some percs, fill the script about every 4 months, that I take occasionally. Tramadol doesn't work for everyone, but it does help me.

You know that I have a fear of pain meds. Even though many people say the CP patient can't become addicted, pain meds can still ruin your life. Taking the meds for long term is bad on our organs, memory, heart, everything. I have a very conservative pain management doctor whom I trust completely, and he tells me that prescribing the big guns is always a last resort with him because it will ruin our lives.
    I don't know if you remember the story of my brother, who is now deceased. He injured his back when a beam fell on him. He had several back surgeries and was never pain free from the day the beam fell on him. He moved from one med to another in an attempt to find relief. This was over a period of about 10 years. Eventually his doctor would not give him anything stronger and he moved to using street drugs to help him get through each day. It totally ruined his life. Without very severe back pain he would never have gotten to this point. I only relay this story to show that even chronic pain patients can have problems with medications. He wasn't an addict seeking for a euphoric buzz, he was a pain patient seeking relief so that he could get out of bed.

I don't know what the best option is for you, only you and your doctor can figure that out. I don't think any of us will ever be pain free again, but my hope is that we can all find enough relief that we can live our lives.

Stay strong my friend. Call me if you want to talk.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am so sorry to hear about your new diagnosis. It seemed as if both of us are on the same time schedule. We both return to work at the same time and we are falling apart at the same time. Ive been bone on bone with the lumbar area for years along with the sciatic nerve wrapped by scar tissue. I feel your pain. The meds I used when I went to a long term medication was Opana. It worked really well for me for about a year but now I am in the process of the pain pump. I hope you can find a med that works well for you. Keep us posted on the results from the MRI.
  • prolotherapy is also an option....

info. here....

url removed by moderator.
    Live to Pray
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 06/22/2012 - 10:37 AM
    Hi again everybody. I've been away for a while, needed a good rest, although I don't feel rested. Doesn't that suck when that happens?

Anyway, I had my MRI two weeks ago (the two xanax really helped) and had the follow-up scheduled with my doctor for this week (yesterday). Well, he called me on Tuesday and said he wanted to save me a trip in to see him, that he was looking at my MRI as we were speaking and he could see where the problems are right away. I need to try facet injections, which are now scheduled for June 28.

Here's the deal: Although my L1/2 has no disc and L2/3 and 3/4 aren't doing very well either, the major problem I'm having is inflamed, swollen and fluid-filled facet joints at L3/4 causing stenosis. (Dang, I just had a deja vu.) So, again, I'm having facet injections to see if they help. If not, then we'll have to try a rhizotomy at that level. The disc problems above aren't giving me any radicular pain, so he's not concerned about them yet, although I'm beginning to feel a little tingling wrapping around the front of my thighs.

This is what is totally bumming me out, although I refuse to worry about tomorrow and take today away. If nothing works, I'll have to have surgery. In any case, I'll have to have surgery somewhere down the road, but hopefully we can stave it off for two years or more. *Fingers Crossed!* My spine is now deteriorating at a very rapid pace and we can only hope that these treatments will work and continue to do so for a while.

What is so scary is that my surgeon said that this time, they won't do just L1/2 and L3/4. First, when you fuse L1/2 it puts so much pressure on the thoracic discs above it (namely T12) that another surgery within a year is inevitable. Second, you really never want to leave a level undone between two fusions for the same reason. So, knowing that my problems are spreading out from L1 to my fusion at L4/5, they'll go in at T10 and fuse all the way down to L3/4. That seems so life-changing to me that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I didn't ask him if it would be a 360 or any other details because neither of us wanted to discuss it. We're pinning our hopes on the injections.

My hubby is so strong and helping me to stay strong with him. He said he's known in his heart since my second surgery that it was going to be nothing but bad news after bad news, but that he'll be happy to push me around in a wheelchair if and when it comes to that. LOL

Anyway, that's my update. Thanks for listening. I'll try to come back around more and offer some support. Right now, I just feel a little upset and it's hard to support others when you feel like you're in a sinking ship. So my apologies for that.

Take care all,

• I have just found this post. I am so sorry that you are back in pain and struggling to get it under control with meds.

I wonder if the fact that you have already had spinal surgery on your neck and lumbar, indicates that you have a tendency to a degenerated spine. I suspect that when that is the case, the patient is more susceptable to the 'domino effect'. I had asked a spine surgeon what the chances are of adjacent levels going after spinal fusion, and if the chances were the same in the neck as in the lumbar. His answer was that in his experience, it is the patient's make up that determines whether this happens, rather than the level done.

It sounds like your hubby is a keeper! I know that his support will see you through this latest problem, just as he has helped you in the past.

You have always given so much support in the past to everyone in need of it. Now it is your turn to let us support you. We are all on a see-saw, and at the moment you are down. Looking forward to you rising up again. You don't need to apologise for needing our support. It is pay back time.
    Gentle hugs, xxx
  • I have to answer tomorrow, having too difficult time tonite. I know it's not hereditary and comes from a car accident that happened 30 years ago. My spine is like the World Trade Center - collapsing at each level as one becomes disabled. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm very scared and not sure what the future holds.

I know it's like that for you too. I've missed you guys an selfish as it seems, need to be apart of this world again.

• It is not selfish at all to want to be among others who are going through similar stuff. Even when we are supporting you through difficult days, that in itself helps us to know that we are not alone, and can still be of help to someone.

I understand that thinking of what the future holds can seem scarey. Hopefully, once you speak to your doctor, he will find a way to help you to be able to carry on, even if only for a few years before you have to face surgery again. Never give up hope, and look to all the good things you have in your life that will still be there despite your back. Family is probably number one here, especially that hubby of yours.

• We are glad that you are back on here posting, but sorry to hear about your latest MRI results. We are all here to support you through this, and sounds like you have an amazing husband and family behind you as well. I had to giggle with familiarity at your comment about your husband pushing you around in a wheelchair. My husband originally was the one diagnosed with back problems and had the first back surgery. I then followed with two and now it looks like a multi level fusion may be in his near future. I always told him when he started on his journey that I would push him around in his wheelchair if needed and then when I started with my back issues and surgery, he said the same to me. We have now decided that if neccesary, we will get motorized chairs and drive them side by side :)

Great that you are starting off with conservative measures and that your doctor is not anxious to jump in a do surgery. I hope that you find relief with the facet injections.

We are here for you!
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I've been up since 5 am and it's nuts without coffee. If only I could have some coffee...

My facet injections are set for 9 am and hubby's home with me, will take me and bring me home and spend the day with me. Tomorrow is rest time. It seems like my lower back pain has been increasing all week so I really hope to get some relief with these. I know it won't be immediate, or probably not, but if I could get a few months' relief, I'd be happy, really happy.

So, wish me luck today and in the days to come. I'll be spending some time here today and tomorrow especially, since I'm home alone and will need to rest to help the medicine hit the right spot.

Take care all and hope you're having pain-less days. Talk soon,
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Good Luck, thinking of you

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Oh Good Luck Cathie!

I had some facet joint injections just over five weeks ago by my new surgeon. They have worked so well that I had to restrain myself from kissing him at the follow up appointment!! I have to say that the following few days I hurt worse than even a "normal" bad day but now I feel like a new woman! I have my fingers crossed for you. Really good luck.
    Helen xx
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    now, how are you feeling? Getter better, Worse, Staying the same?
    With the gap between L1 and L2, maybe you can fit a golf ball there, so next time you are golfing and lose a ball, you always know where you can get one!
    Seriously, I hope you are doing better....
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hope that all went well with your facet injections and that they bring you some relief. I had them done about 6 months ago. Although I did not notice a real change then, I am anxious to try them again, now that I have had my adr surgery. I have not had any relief from the surgery...( or next to none) I know that I have moderate facet problems, so am really hoping that this time the injections may help. Hope to schedule at next appointment. Look forward to hearing how you feel with them.

Fingers crossed for relief for you!
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 06/28/2012 - 10:02 AM
    Hi guys.

Well, I've been keeping my pain diary since 10:30 this morning and the pain got worse before it got better and I've developed pain in the front of my legs. After three hours of the diary, it looks like I'm improving, but I still have a hard time believing it will be permanent, even lasting three months.

But, I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it goes.

I asked for more sedation than last time and lo and behold, after looking at their records, they didn't give me sedation last time. So this time they did. However, I got in there and the first needle that went in had me screaming to the higher power and the doc asked if I needed more medication. Duh, I think so, don't you? So the second one wasn't so bad. But my right side is generally worse than my left anyway so who knows.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Haha, yes, Ron, once they put that golf ball in L1/2, I'll always have an extra. Nice thinking. :-)

I'll update tomorrow and let you know how the pain is. Injections are very interesting and not so reliable, in my opinion.

By the way, for those of you who have injections, I don't believe that you should resume strenuous activity in two days. I think you need at least three of very easy movement so the medicine doesn't get a chance to dissipate. With the inactivity and rest, the meds have more of a chance to stay where they've been put and do the most good. Just my humble opinion (that I know is shared by many here).
  • Hi Cathie,

I agree with needing to rest afterwards. My (new) surgeon recommends taking a few days off work afterwards but he does say to walk (gently). I didn't feel like doing much the day after because I hurt quite a lot so rest was forced on me.

This surgeon also says he doesn't trust the results of facet injections done by someone else because he can't be sure it went in the right place! He does seem quite pedantic to me - but I would rather that than my old gung ho surgeon!!

I hope you get some relief soon.

• Well, today is not so good. Not only is the back pain back at a 6 but now I have nerve pain down my right leg, the back and front. I think my nerves and joints are just ticked off after the invasion yesterday and I know it generally gets worse before it gets better, so I'm hoping that I'll be good to go for work on Monday. Then I'm hoping that what they say, it takes full effect in 10-14 days happens and I'll feel awesome in a couple of weeks.

Nel, I did take a small 15 minute walk with my pooch Wally this morning (he doesn't understand that I didn't want to), and it was against my hubby's wishes. He wanted me to just rest all day. But I'm back in my recliner. I live in Colorado so it's blazing hot even at 8am and he hates the heat, so he didn't mind just a little one. At least he got to see a few of his friends while we were out - he likes that.

So, just an update. Don't expect immediate relief when you get injections. Some lucky few may get it, but most don't, it just takes time. Thank goodness I'm not working today and have three more days to rest up.

• Hey Kath hope ur feeling better! Just wanted to let u know that I take oxycodone 7.5 325 and It works well for me, its inbetween the 5 +10's. Just an fyi!
This discussion has been closed.