Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SilverknightSSilverknight Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in New Member Introductions
First off, hello.

About a month ago i was moving a printer at work when my lower back flared up in pain and i could barely move. After seeing the doctor and having a bone spect and an mri done, we discovered that i had blown my l4 l5 disc which was pushed halfway into the spinal canal and the herniation was extruding the nucleus down my l5 verterbra. I was having a lot of tingling down my right leg and hip followed with the lightning pain and also a periodic burning sensation all down my leg with some numbness in my calf. I joined 2 weeks ago just before I called my surgeon about some new symptoms (haricot everything I just mentioned moved to my left leg also with what could only be described as having my testicles in a vice) which led me into emergency suffering with full laminectomy.

After 4 hours of surgery and 4 days in the hospital, I had a conversation with the surgeon. He reported that if he hadn't seen me walking before the surgery he would have figured he was working on a paralyzed patient that was trying a last ditch effort at mobility. Apparently when the disc blew it bruised the spinal cord in such a fashion that it bruised from that point all the way down and was setting into atrophy.

I've been home for about a week and a half and just had the stitches taken out. When asked how I was doing I had to report that I still have a lot of the same symptoms (most likely due to swelling I assume) however, ever since the surgery I have noticed that I now have erectile dysfunction and numbing in other area which pose a concern.

I'm currently waiting for another MRI to be scheduled with an immediate follow up with the surgeon. Not sure what they may think is going on or may be checking for and I was hoping a few of you might be able to shed some light on this for me. I'm also curious as to how many people are going through the same thing. (I've done several searches but haven't been able to come up with many answers, so I apologize ahead of time if this may have been previously answered.)

Thank you all.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. although i am not famaliar with your specific pain problems i did want to say hello...i am sorry you are hurting! i am sure some other spineys will drop by with some answers for you.. please have a look around and make yourself at home! this is a great place to make new friends as well as gather information... good luck to you! stop by anytime! Jenny :)