Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

meds from emergency

D.G.DD.G. Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Pain Management
I ahd to go to the er tonight and on top of the shot they gave me, he wrot me a script for dilaudid. I mad ehim aware of my contract and we both decided to wait til he spoke with PM before i got it filled. so my question is, is this uncommon for the er to write a script while people are in PM? He is calling the PM tonight if they have time so what do yall think? will it be ok considering this was a sunday and no doctor could be reached. reguardless I wont fill it until I get the ok.
So, does anyone have any experience with this situation?
Thank for any advice.
My last few nights havent been great, a lot of tossing and turning and moving from bed to bed or up watching tv all night till I am tired enough to fall asleep.
Love yall,toodles!!

• It is hard to tell you what to do, as we don't know what is in the contract you signed. Do you have a copy of it? I would call and leave a message on their machine explaining you went to the ER, and what happened and what they gave you, and you would really like to take the meds for some relief. While I doubt they will answer the phone tonight, possible someone will answer you first thing in the morning? That is if you don't know what is in the contract. This is one thing each pain patient should go over with their pm, what happens in the event of a emergency? But I also think it depends on how long you have been with the pm. For instance if you just started last week and went to the ER this weekend then NO, I wouldn't take it. In my situation I have been with my pm for 4 years and if I went to the ER, I would take it, with no worries and leave a message on their machine as to what I did.
  • Thanks TamTam,
    My PM called me back at 6;30 and was reluctant but agreed to let me take it as needed after filling it and we would address my current meds on next visit.

Thank honey for oyur response, one thing I've learned is is patience is the way of the master pain paitent.
  • Hopefully things will be ok when you see this PM on your next visit...

The key is going to be why you went to the ER in the first place...

What was the emergency? Most Dr.s feel the ER is for life and death.....

Just having a spike in your regular chronic pain is going to raise red flags...

What medicine are you normally prescribed by this PM?

I've been in chronic pain for over 11 years and have only been to the ER once in the beginning when they thought I was having an appendicitis. It turns out I had cysts rupturing but they removed the appendix as well.

So my point is that when I have a large spike in pain now...I take my regular medications...that is what breakthrough medicines are for....and then do other things to help with pain...Ice...massage....go lay down....etc..

Because I know there is not anything emergent....as in I didn't get into a car accident and fear my neck is reinjured....there is no need to seek ER care.

So just be prepared for them to question why you went there as it will look like you are seeking more narcotics.

I wish you well..
  • because they asked do i have a PM or i will inform them. From there they always tell me that they have already talked to my PM about medication they are giving me from the ER and PM approved. I am sure that you PM will be concerned about why you had to go to the ER. I hope all works out for you.
  • I disagree with the life or death thing for a ER visit.

One time I KNEW I had kidney stones and was out of my mind in pain and yes I went to the ER over a weekend and yes I was HAPPY to accept the shot of pain med they gave me.

I have also been to the ER for migraines and uncontrollable throwing up.

I went for severe back spasms that were almost like a seizure. They were racking my body (after a fall. My current spasms meds were not helping.

I knew every times I was not going to die but I also knew I wanted/needed relief from the pain that my normal pain meds were not giving me.

Each time I went I was told that the pain meds I take daily were not for the type of pain I was experiencing at that moment or that due to my daily meds I needed something different and/or stronger.

BUT to get back to the thread subject ;)

My pain contract states after hours I can go to ER and I can receive pain meds. I do need to call my Dr within 24 hrs of taking/receiving any new/different pain meds. They have a voice mail for me to leave it on if it is over a weekend/holiday.

IF my back pain gets out of control and I can't reach my normal pain Dr, you can bet I am going to the ER. When my pain levels shot up really high my BP goes up, my breathing comes in gasps and in general I am all messed up.

DG, when do you see your Dr next?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I see him tomorrow, I spoke with him yesterday and let him know i had a fall( three weeks post 360 fusion). they wrote me a script for dilaudid and pm was hesitant but ok'ed it. besides the shot in the er I spoke with er doctor and told him my pm name and number. we agreed not to fill the take home script til i spoke with my pm. so it all worked out i guess. It touchy these days with the contracts, i didnt want to violate and be screwed so i was patient and it worked out.
    I also disagree with only going toer for life or death. Im not a doctor so how do i know if its life or death? er is used now for after hours attention to make sure it isnt life threatning and then send you on your merry way.
  • Because you didn't mention having a fall only a few weeks past a fusion in your orginal post, and that is the reason you went to the ER....This is why I responded the way I did.

That the ER is not meant for just regular spikes in our chronic pain of our back/neck.

Obviously if there is NEW pain....as in stomach pain...kidney...appendix.....

Or as in the OP's case....a bad fall. Then yes...if there is extreme pain going towards the 10 on the scale....and it is after hours that you can't reach your PM Dr....then the ER is an appropriate way to go.

What I was talking about is like for myself...I have a history of ovarian cysts.....I have had 3 fusion surgeries....If I had some extra pain....I would call my PM Dr. and then he would allow me to take more of my medication to help.

I am just saying that the ER is just not to manage our regular chronic pain.

I'm glad everything worked out for you...