Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery in 1 wk, X-ray tech stole pain meds!

DiscyDDiscy Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok, so last week I had a consult w/ my surgeon and he ordered a final set of X-rays before surgery. The X-ray tech was extremely nice. When I came in, she asked me to put my purse down on the cart that was by the door to where she would be doing the X-rays. I had my purse unzipped and set it down, not thinking anything of it at the time. So then she leads my to the back wall and shows me how to stand, meanwhile she goes back to where she needs to be to do the X-rays. I can hear her talk, but from where I was standing I could not see my purse nor her. She was very talkative, nice, asked me how long I had been having pain, etc. I answered her and we chatted, then she was done and I went back to grab my purse before leaving, which was now completely zipped back up. Hmm, slightly odd, I thought, but still it didnt concern me and I went on my merry way. Now, before walking into get X-rays, I had to put my keys in my purse, which I keep in the same pocket in my purse as where I keep my medication. Both bottles were there, and full, since I had just picked them up from the pharmacy.

After leaving the X-ray tech, I needed to take some medicine as I was starting to hurt. I had just gotten back to my car where my hubby was waiting to drive me home and I was beyond SHOCKED to find that almost 1/2 of my norco was GONE. Now, I know it was the sweet X-ray tech that stole it right out of my purse, but I obviously don't have any hard evidence. I'm torn b/c she was so sweet, yet I feel SO violated and I really like the spine place I go to. Here's hoping I have enough to get me through this week before surgery, this was supposed to last until NEXT month. :( what would you do in this situation? I am unsure of what to do/who to call or even if I should do anything at all and just use it as a lesson that I can't even trust my own dr office.

Also, I have surgery scheduled for June 12. Just looking for thoughts/experiences from those who have had a microD. Did it cure your sciatica/back pain? What was recovery like/time frame?

• I would report her. Go as high up the chain as necessary.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Kwilson400KKwilson400 Posts: 42
    edited 07/15/2012 - 4:42 PM
    I agree, report her!
    June 2011 L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    Dec. 2011 Repeat L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    June 2012 New tear L5-S1 w/ Perm. Sciatic Nerve Damage
    Currently- restrictions (including no work duties) for a min. of 3 months to allow disc time to heal
  • First file a police report with the police at the location in which the theft happened. Then locate the head of the x-ray department and make a report of what happened. The hospital administrator also needs to be copied. Do this quietly and don't make a scene. You will not know if this has happened before and if someone else has made the same type report but they will.

You, and the rest of us need to realize that the drugs we are given are the very same ones that druggies want and will steal. I also keep a very small amount in a labeled old bottle when I'm outside the house. Don't just put some pills in your pocket as you would be treated as a druggie if rthere was ever a reason for you to be stopped/checked. Some patients have a bigger problem in that their spouse/family members steal their meds and they have to get a safe to put them in. Sad but true.

Don't wait and file your reports.
  • Thanks for your responses. I did end up calling the office and reporting it, but since it would be my word against hers (no one else was in the room w/ us), I don't think I can file a police report. My dr. Office says they will do something about it but I don't know what "do something" means to them. I was not offered replacement meds but I should be ok till Tues which is when my surgery is and I will make sure to get meds from my surgeon before going home (he is part of the "team" I see and part of the dr office I go to. Thanks again. Any surgery advice for my discectomy on tues?
  • I have to agree with some of the suggestions that the other posters made. I'll add in my own 2¢ if I may.

The first commandment is "Thou shalt trust nobody when it comes to protecting your medications". This will go a long way to helping you keep what you need. Always carry your meds in your hands or leave them in a safe, secure place. No other choices exist here.

Next, every morning when I get up I'll set aside enough medication to last me exactly one day. I carry that in an unmarked bottle. Instead of carrying prescription labels I carry a copy of my medical records. These list my current medications, including whatever I have in my "day bottle".

I also have a drug-using family member. I hide everything whenever she shows up (not too often). She will never get the chance to be alone with my meds!

Disability retirement