Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD surgery alternatives in UK

Sagan86SSagan86 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi there, I have a ddd in lumbar spine. I have had it for about 18 months. Had an epidural injection about 3 months ago, made me worse, can't do jack all at the moment, standing and sitting hurt too much. Had physio, done all the basics, bought loads of equipment, tried light exercises, do stretching, use painkillers etc etc etc.
I live in North Yorkshire UK, and was wondering what surgery methods are available on the NHS for DDD.
Please don't bother telling me surgery is a no no. I have had people tell me many times. My life has been comprised a stupid amount, I can't do anything.
I have heard something about laser surgery.
If you have any links please if you could provide them them.

• i have sent you a PM please read it its information that you may find handy
    i too live in the uk ..only a few miles from you .i had a fusion done [that's what they tend to do for DDD} its a massive operation .read up on ALI/PLIF operations ...
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hello Drew,
    Can I just say that DDD is usually part of an underlying symptom; this is like saying you can have surgery for arthritis and you cannot, many here live with these pains and also look for some remedy. It may look simplistic from the start and we would not be here enduring pain if the solution was as easy as you suggest, hundreds of thousands of us all wish it was.

I have never heard any Orthopaedic surgeon suggest that DDD can be relieved through surgery and no evidence or research paper concludes that this is feasible. If you have already decided that surgical intervention is possible then you may be disappointed, we are here to help and support you, not suggest something that from our knowledge and understanding is problematic.

We know you are looking for a solution, degeneration is likely to be in more than one place and age related for some, for the most part managing pain is about trial and error and finding what works for you also being honest with yourself, I am not a doctor and as a pain patient of 22 years I have vast experience and no miracle outcome has ever been validated here.

Take care, we live with that pain.