Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5&C6 ACDF surgery coming up

Kris2learnKKris2learn Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well I am so happy I found this board.

I have pinched nerve in my neck, and I have to say - I want my life back. I feel like a failure as a mom and wife. I can't do much. I am lucky and blessed to have an amazing hubby who is picking up the slack. He understands and is supportive.

But I want to be the fun mom and wife again. I know the recovery will be a long process, but I've spoken with people who had the surgery and they say they wish it happened sooner.

I know there are those out there with a different view, but I'm tired of being sore and uncomfortable.

This board is a blessing, I am surprised to see my symptoms are common and that I am not alone.

• Welcome Kris
    You will find the surgery to be fast and amazing.. Be sure and do what the Dr. says and no lifting.. I had c5c6c7 acdf done 5/10/12 and doing great.. No pain meds just muscle relaxers and tylenol when needed..Only thing I have I have noticed is that when I sneeze there is pain between the sholder blades, and some soreness. So to make a long story short take it slow and easy.. Good Luck and God Bless
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had the same surgery and upon waking all the nerve pain was gone!!! I could use my arm again! Now of course I did have post op pain but that was well controlled by the docs. The one thing I found I could not live without during recovery was straws. Do yourself a favor and get some for your recovery. Trust me on this one. For the first few days you more then likely will only be able to eat soft foods due to a sore throat, this usually last about a week. Make sure you have a good pillow for support. Once you are able to start walking, walk as much as allowed this will keep your muscles from tightening up in your shoulders. You will have shoulder pain following surgery but this is caused by the position we are put in during cervical surgery and this pain doesnt last long. It was a few weeks for me. Good luck and keep us posted
  • Good luck with the surgery. I had a fusion of c4-5 and while I am glad I had the surgery I am not pain free. I am about a year post op. Doing much better than pre op though so it is worth it!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • i am 5 weeks post op having 5/6/7 done, lot of titanium in my neck now, i woke up from op feeling better than i had for months, came out day after op, however, i wish i had been warned in advance that i would have still been having pain relief from the op as the next few days i worried i was getting worse and it hadnt worked. it had. but the pain was still less post op.

i agree that straws and cold drinks, cold soups are a great help. i couldnt eat solid food for a week, but 5 weeks i can eat anything again now. handy grabber for picking things off floor or closing curtains etc most helpful.

listen to your doc, as my sister said to me, they have spent years training and really do know best!

good luck and i will be looking out to see how you do.